Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD--ADD myths, facts, jokes.

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2010 at 10:52 PM
  • 36 Replies

Myth #4 AD/HD affects only boys.

Girls are just as likely to have AD/HD as are boys, and gender makes no difference in the symptoms caused by the disorder. But because this myth persists, boys are more likely to be diagnosed than girls.

Myth #5  AD/HD is the result of bad parenting.

When a child with AD/HD blurts things out, or gets out of his seat in class, its not because he hasn't been taught that these behaviours are wrong. Its because he cannot control his impulses. The problem is rooted in brain chemistry, not discipline, In fact, overly strict parenting-which may involve punishing a child for things he can't control- can actually make AD/HD symptoms worse. Professional intervention such as drug therapy, psychotherapy, and behaviour medication therapy, are usually required.

MYTH #6: Children who take AD/HD medication are more likely to abuse drugs when they become teenagers.

Actually, its just the opposite. Having untreated AD/HD increases the risk that an individual will abuse drugs or alcohol. Appropriate treatment reduces the risk. The medications used to treat AD/HD have been proven safe and effective over more than 50 years of use. The drugs don't cure AD/HD. but they are highly effective as easing symptoms of the disorder. The drugs do not turn kids into addicts or " zombies"

MYTH #7: People with AD/HD are stupid or lazy- they never amount to anything.

Many well known, high achieved individuals have ADHD, including top executives such as David Neeleman, founder of JetBlue Airways, and Paul Orfalea founder of Kinkos, other well know high achieved people with ADHD include Terry Bradshaw Howie Mandel, James Carville, and Michael Phelps.

25 things to love about ADD

1.Insomnia makes for more time to stay up and surf the net!

2.The drive of hyper-focus.

3.Resiliency.

4. A sparking personality.

5.Generosity with money, time and resources.

6. Ingenuity.

7.A strong sense of whats FAIR.

8.Willingness to take a RISK.

9.Making far reached analogies that no one else understands.

10.spontaneity

11.possessing the mind of a Pentium-with only 2 MBs of RAM.

12. Pleasant and constant and suprises due to finding clothing, or money or spouses you had forgotten about.

13. being FUNNY

14. Being the last of the romantics.

15.Being a good conversationalist.

16. An innately better understanding of intuitive technologies, such as computers or PDA's

17.Honestly believing ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

18.Rarely being satisfied with the status quo.

19. compassion

20. persistence.

21. joining the ranks of artists, musicians, and entrepreneurs, and other creative types.

22.Always being there to provide a different perspective.

23.Willingness to fight for what you believe in.

24.Excellence in motivating others!

25. being highly organized, punctual, and generally responsible.........( okay! i lied!)

You know your kid has ADD when...

1. You send him upstairs to get dressed and 20 minutes later you go upstairs only to find him naked on the floor EXAMINING his socks.

2. She can't spell unless shes HANGING UPSIDE DOWN, BOUNCING on a trampoline. OR SPINNING in an office chair.

3. "CLIMBING THE WALLS" isn't a metaphor in your house.

4.In the span of 5 minutes, your child ASKS ABOUT A MILLION QUESTIONS--all on totally different topics.

5. He walks in the room and asks " Mommy?" then stares at the ceiling forgets what he was going to tell you and says " I LOVE YOU!" instead----10 times a day.

6.A wrapper leads to a marvelous world of unbelievable inventions and magnificent adventures.

7. You check the lost and found box and leave with a bagful of your kids things--- and they don't even know anything is missing !!

8. While being asked not to interrupt others, your child talks for 5 minutes about how he will NOT interrupt.

9. You secretly fear that a public health inspector will for you to close down your house.

10.HE SPENDS HOURS ON A HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT ( with constant encouraging and nagging) and then leave it at home the day its due.

11. Your 13 year old daughter stays up all night studying until 3 AM-- but a good deal of that time is spent decorating her note cards with different coloured markers, stickers, and rhinestones.

12. Your son, UNABLE TO PAY ATTENTION to his teachers explanation on how to play dodge ball, flies around the gym playing " airplane" by himself instead.

13.You ask your child why she is carrying ALL her textbooks in hr bag and she replies " I can never remember to take the right book for homework so this way I wont get in trouble for missing assignments again"

14 The " quick" walk that sounded like a good idea ends up taking all afternoon because your child had to save every snail, work, and slug on the trail.

15. Your daughter insists on reading a book whole your reading her a bedtime story, and she ABSORBS BOTH!

16. Your child tries to brush his teeth and play with a bouncy ball AT THE SAME TIME.

17. Your daughter plans outfits to coordinate  with plot changes in the movie shes watching.

18.Your child manages to get stuck in the washer-- a top loader at that !

19.YOUR KID TALKS NONSTOP-and you never have to chime in to keep the conversation going.

20.you FIND YOUR DAUGHTERS DIRTY UNDERWEAR...... ONTOP OF HER BOOKCASE.

21.You think you live with Jim Carrey or Robin Williams.

22.HER NAME IS YELLED, SCREAMED HOLLERED more than anyone else's in the house.

23.You go shopping, and he SIMULTANEOUSLY swims and flies through the aisles of the store.

24. People around you smile kindle and say " he sure is all boy ! " or " wow you got your handful" but really--they have no idea.

25. You realize that YOUR CHILD WILL SUCEED IN LIFE IN WAYS YOU HAVEN'T. because when all you want to do is press the snooze button in the morning, shes ready to get up and get going !

~*~ What goes around comes around ~*~

by on Sep. 17, 2010 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kylenkodysmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2010 at 10:58 PM
Lol. Those are cute. My ODS had ADHD.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine172
by on Sep. 17, 2010 at 11:01 PM

bump

ruejacobs
by on Sep. 17, 2010 at 11:07 PM

it's me and all three of my kids, and one of my nephews...

ADHD and ADD run all through my family, starting with me, diagnosed at age three and half...before i was diagnosed, everyone just said, "those Kelsos are all really energetic".

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Sep. 17, 2010 at 11:07 PM

My df has ADD really bad. He was diagnosed when he was 4 yrs old. He's struggled with it really bad his whole life. I'll have to show him this lol.

TTC a GIRL? Want a GIRL in the future?
Join this group!!! We share tips and
methods for conceiving that baby girl!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/22322

ruejacobs
by on Sep. 17, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Question:

How many ADHD kids does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Answer:

Wanna ride bikes?

Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Bumping so I can find later I need to print this and put this in both of my kids folders :)

Sunshine172
by on Sep. 17, 2010 at 11:24 PM

bump

Sunshine172
by on Sep. 17, 2010 at 11:36 PM

bump

Sirenabella
by on Sep. 18, 2010 at 12:03 AM

lol. My brothers had adhd. These remind me of my childhood. My son has aspergers and some of this rings true for him too.

Leener3
by on Sep. 18, 2010 at 12:04 AM

11 B.  You wake up in the morning to a note from your 20 year old daughter.  She asks if you could read over the chapter, she just can't seem to figure it out.  Oh and the chapter's bookmarked.  You pick up the textbook and there are about 5000 post-it book mark tabs in every color of the rainbow marking a 200 page book. 

11C.  Same 20 year old asks if you will read over a paper to see if she answered all the questions.  Oh and she scanned the assignment and emailed for you to read.  When you open the document you aren't sure if you are looking at a SOC101 assignment or secret CIA files because all her highlights scan and black out marks!  Out of a full page you get....3 words....   The....chapter ....don't...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN