Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My 3 year old is worrying me

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2010 at 3:41 PM
  • 15 Replies

My 3 year old keeps doing... odd things.  Dangerous things without the intent of hurting if that makes any sense.

I have to make sure I keep everything out of his reach.  He will open any lotion, sunscreen, medicine, ANYTHING and put it on his skin.  He has never done this before now.  He would always just bring it to me.  And of course he'll do anything to get ahold of them as well.

The other day I caught him trying to choke himself with his own hands.  He was sitting there playing with his geotrax and all of the sudden he reached up, grabbed his neck, and started choking himself with both hands.  He thinks it's funny.  I'm terrified to let him out of my sight!

I don't usually leave him alone with my baby girl.  Well, he was playing in the living room and I was using the bathroom while my baby girl slept in her swing in the play room.  Well, he got really quiet so I found him as quick as I could.  He was in the playroom smashing my daughter with a pillow.  Once again, not intending to hurt her, just because he thinks it's fun.

MAJOR trouble for that one.  My daughter was fine btw.  Apparently she thought it was funny as well because she was laughing SO hard when I moved that pillow and picked her up.  Yeah, scare Mommy to death, just great.

We have sat down and talked about how we need to breathe to live.  I've had him hold his breath as long as he can and then asked him what it would feel like if he couldn't breathe after that.  We talked about how things over faces or around our necks can make it so we can't take that breath.  We talked about how we can't breathe underwater (just trying to cover my bases).  He was really upset and apologized to his sister because he didn't want anything bad to happen to her.

But I'm still afraid.  What if he does something like this when he's supposed to be sleeping?

Anybody else delt with this?

Mommy to my angel baby (miscarried 6/21/06 at 10 weeks), Jason Josiah (born 6/6/07) who is always pushing to be the best he can be, and my VBAC baby who tested my patience to no end by being 15 days late Delaney Abygail Grace (born 4/19/10)

by on Sep. 24, 2010 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama_21
by on Sep. 24, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I've had this problem with my oldest. I've had months where I was scared to let my boys sleep in the same room because I was afraid my oldest would hurt my youngest without realizing what he was doing... I just talked to him a lot about how we don't hurt other people and how much his brother loves him so he should never hurt him etc. He's outgrown it now though. Good luck!

try_again
by on Sep. 24, 2010 at 3:44 PM

BUMP!

livingangels
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2010 at 3:46 PM

BUMP!

wiener
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2010 at 3:51 PM

well the putting lotion, sunscreen and such is a stage, hes trying to be more independent.  the chocking him self I have no idea and my 4 year old never did that but he would bang his head into the wall when he got frustrated or hit himself with a pillow and laugh.  He's a boy and he thought it was funny would be my guess. I would not be too concerned, just keep a close eye on him and if gets worse talk to his doctor about his new behavior

JasonsMom2007
by on Sep. 24, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I'm not so worried about him mentally as I am all of us surviving this physically.

I mean, hitting himself with a pillow or hitting head head against the wall is hardly potentially deadly like pushing a pillow on a 5 month old or choking yourself!

Quoting wiener:

well the putting lotion, sunscreen and such is a stage, hes trying to be more independent.  the chocking him self I have no idea and my 4 year old never did that but he would bang his head into the wall when he got frustrated or hit himself with a pillow and laugh.  He's a boy and he thought it was funny would be my guess. I would not be too concerned, just keep a close eye on him and if gets worse talk to his doctor about his new behavior

Mommy to my angel baby (miscarried 6/21/06 at 10 weeks), Jason Josiah (born 6/6/07) who is always pushing to be the best he can be, and my VBAC baby who tested my patience to no end by being 15 days late Delaney Abygail Grace (born 4/19/10)

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I dont think he would really be able to choke himself with his hands (like enough to kill him I mean he would pass out first I know not really comferting sorry!) but make sure anything he could put around his neck is far out of reach I think it's just a phase like my 2 year old thinks it's funny to shove her whole hand in her mouth and gag her self. I would keep an eye on him and the baby (if she was laughing then that might be why he kept doing it ) and if your really worried bring it up at his next doc appointment

DawnLauren
by on Sep. 24, 2010 at 4:27 PM

BUMP!

JasonsMom2007
by on Sep. 24, 2010 at 4:27 PM

There's just so much he tries to choke himself with!  His clothes, his snake stuffed animals, his blankets, you name it!  

There's no way I could keep it all away from him.

Quoting LCWAmommy:

I dont think he would really be able to choke himself with his hands (like enough to kill him I mean he would pass out first I know not really comferting sorry!) but make sure anything he could put around his neck is far out of reach I think it's just a phase like my 2 year old thinks it's funny to shove her whole hand in her mouth and gag her self. I would keep an eye on him and the baby (if she was laughing then that might be why he kept doing it ) and if your really worried bring it up at his next doc appointment

beck_0006
by on Sep. 24, 2010 at 4:29 PM

BUMP!

ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2010 at 4:32 PM

IDK mama. My almost 2 yr old chokes himself all the time. His doc thinks he may have some Sensory Disorder but I don't want to put any DX over him at not even 2. He will purposely put things around his neck and lean forward so it chokes him and he LOVES to stick things into the back of his throat and make himself gag. He has never done it to anyone else though. GL momma I'd just keep a close eye on him and keep telling him how dangerous that could be. Hopefully it is just a passing phase.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN