Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make your own Air Freshener

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:52 AM
  • 75 Replies

I was roaming around on "Tasty Kitchen" one day when I came across a recipe for home made air freshener.  This intrigued me!  I love candles, but as we all know, you can't leave them burning unattended.  And there are some rooms in my home where I want a constant, unattended scent (ahem, the bathroom).  These gel air fresheners are the perfect solution.

To make these little beauties, you first need a heat-proof jars (I found mine for $0.99 each at Michael's), food coloring colors of your choice, and essential oil.  You can find inexpensive essential oils of various scents at craft stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby.  I chose a raspberry vanilla scented oil...it smells delightful!

Into each jar, drop a few drops (I repeat...a few...it doesn't take more than 2 or 3) of food coloring.  Then, put in about 30 drops of essential oil, give or take.  The more essential oil you put in, the stronger the smell.

Now for the fun part.  Gather up 4 envelopes of unflavored gelatin, a tablespoon of salt, and 2 cups of cold water.

Why salt?  Salt (or vodka) apparently help to keep the gel from molding.  Interesting fact, isn't it! 

Get one cup of water boiling on the stove.  When it begins to boil, whisk in the gelatin, stirring until it's all dissolved.

Then, pour in the other cup of cold water and the salt, stirring until the salt is dissolved.

Quickly pour the hot gelatin mixture in each of your jars, and then use a disposable stick or spoon to stir it into the oil and food coloring.

Let these gel overnight, and then voila!  Air freshener!

This project takes a total of five minutes to make, is highly economical, and each jar should last you about a month.  This would make a great back-to-school gift for any teacher.

joget

TUTUS ROCK

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SareyF
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:54 AM
Another good idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nessy1980
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Thanks!!!!!

AndrewsMommy27
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Kuddos!

bayliesmommy
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:56 AM
are u bored tonight! Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BRANDY319
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:57 AM

BUMP!

i.heart.rachel
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Quoting bayliesmommy:

are u bored tonight! Lol!

LOL I did this last night til 2:30 AM. 

joget

TUTUS ROCK

alyssas-mommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:58 AM

cool

Aislin
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:58 AM

BUMP!

chris-t-lynn
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Quoting SareyF:

Another good idea.

mytrueloveS
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:01 AM

awesome, I want an air freshener that actually works in my car

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)