Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:14 AM
  • 21 Replies

If your child has this... Did they display the symptoms at home or school more?

We've had pretty much constant problems with my son since he's started Kindergarten. They suggested I get him evaluated for ADHD.

I have filled out a Vanderbilt questionnaire, but I just got that today, so I haven't turned it in yet, and I have to wait for his teacher to fill one out also.

At home, he is kind of impulsive, but not to the extent they are reporting he is at school. He can't sit still, and I have to have him look at me and repeat things when I ask him to do something, but at school he's having WAY more issues than that.

One day last week, he was having an exceptionally hard day and I was called in to speak with him.  He was seated in the "safe zone" -a small area in the corner of the room with a desk and a partial wall separating it from the rest of the room When I asked him what was wrong he said "look at all these kids."

To me that sounded like there was just way too much going on in the room for him.

I don't know what to do to help him, or how to help him, because I have not had to deal with the types of behaviors they are seeing at school. He doesn't do that here... but of course at home there is only mom, dad, and his sister, not 17 other 5 year olds.

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FL2AK
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:17 AM

It sounds like school is just too overwhelming for him.  Too many things going on, too many distractions and too many people.  Is he actually hyperactive or does he have ADD? 

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Quoting FL2AK:

It sounds like school is just too overwhelming for him.  Too many things going on, too many distractions and too many people.  Is he actually hyperactive or does he have ADD? 

He hasn't been evaluated yet. We just started the process today.

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

xXxLillithxXx
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:19 AM

My son is almost three and shows all the signs for adhd. I dread him starting school because I know it will be hard for him. He can't focus on anything hardly here at home for more than a second or 2. I am also hoping that he'll just outgrow this and that its just a stage.

romanceparty4u
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:19 AM

If he has ADHD find a good psychiatrist that used therapies that don't include medication. That should be a last resort.

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:24 AM

bump

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:37 AM

I know there is a mom on here who has a child with ADHD.

ruejacobs
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:50 AM

all three of my kids have A.D.D and two of them have ADHD. i also have adhd.

adhd makes you kid do crazy s**t like literally climb the walls, or jump off of rooftops for fun, or run everywhere, because they

just. CAN'T. walk.

actually, it isn't the adhd kid's fault. evr hear of restless leg syndrome? think of what that would be like if it was your entire body affected.

sitting still is literally impossible.

now a.d.d is differnt. the child seems placid and calm. at least if you don't p**s it off, that is. but here's a prime example: i told my ADD child to clean her room, along with her brother and sister.

the two adhd's had shoved everything into little mounds and hidden them strategically throughout the room. it took them five minutes, tops to clean their rooms.

but the add child was at it four hours later, still her room looked like a mall had exploded in there. when questioned why her room had not been cleaned she was merely perplexed by my question. "It IS clean, Mummie. at least i got these two things clean!". her bookcase had been immaculately polished and gleamed with lemon oil. the books within it were neatly arranged by author's name in alphabetical order, the babysiter's club series (she had hundreds of them) were scrupulously shelved according to series number. and her barbies wer all neatly dressed with their hair and accessories and posed elaborately throughout their shelves.

the way a normal brain works: a neuron has, say for the sake of argument (i've forgotten how many, and i read this some years ago) four dendrites branching off of it to communicate with the other neurons. the nuerons are fast and communicate quickly.

the attention deficit brain: the neuron has twice as many dendrites branching off of it. and the neurons act slowly. they receive twice as much incoming information but communicate with the other neurons more slowly. so while the body is reacting to previous stimulation, and the mind is reacting to previous stimulation, the prefrontal area, where decision making and impulse control lags...like a video game.

thinking in terms of a video game, if the server is lagging, you can't see the opposition moving in. you see things in sudden stops and starts. while this is happening, you are pushing all your attack buttons in order to keep your charector alive. you turn where you last saw your opponant and react.

some physicians think this 'lag' can be fixed with drugs that speed up your server, so to speak. i wouldn't recommend meds, but some parents do.

i know that when i was medicated at six years old, i sat very very still and pulled my hair out strand by strand while contemplating the minute hand on the clock. i actually watched it move all the way around for an hour. teacher was thrilled with me siting quietly, not blurting out answers or questions, but mother was less enthusiastic. i learned nothing form the classroom whatsoever, because i had discovered if i squinted my eyes a bit i could hallucinate the walls breathing. mom put me on the feingold diet after taking me off of ritilin. can't say the feingold diet did anything for my behavior, but hey, at least it was healthy and my hair grew back!

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:53 AM

Well, At least you put it in gamer terms so I could follow! LOL Thanks

Sirenabella
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:57 AM

My son's K teacher really pushed to have him diagnosed with ADHD. I didn't see it at home. Nobody in the family did. I filled out all the papers and took him to be evaluated by multiple doctors, psychologists, etc. They all said he didn't have ADHD but the teacher kept pressing it. He has aspergers but that wasn't what the teacher wanted to hear. I would have your son evaluated by the proper people before getting too worked up about it, read up on it and go from there.

olivia3579
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:59 AM
Many doctors and my bff's mom(shes a teacher) said they cant be evaluated til they are in at least 1st grade. Mothers assume because their child "shows signs" of ADHD or doesn't act the way "other" children their age acts doesn't necessarily mean they have ADHD. I thought the same about my my son when he was 3.

Quoting xXxLillithxXx:

My son is almost three and shows all the signs for adhd. I dread him starting school because I know it will be hard for him. He can't focus on anything hardly here at home for more than a second or 2. I am also hoping that he'll just outgrow this and that its just a stage.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)