Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Friends out of your social class

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:13 AM
  • 27 Replies

Are you friends with anyone that is in a different social standing than you? I ask b/c there is a woman who wants to be friends but her and her husband are pretty well off. I mean VERY well off. She is the head of nursing at a nursing home and he owns a bussiness that rakes in the dough.

I like her she is nice and all But i just dont know if a friendship is a good idea. We are so different and I wouldnt be able to do all the things that she usually does with her g/f  you know

Do you have friends out side of your social class Is it hard?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VitaBangBang
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:16 AM

Yes I do. And it has never had an impact on our relationship. I have friends who are better off and worse off. We find things that we can do together and things that we can all relate to and stick to doing those. 

I'd give it a shot. If she seems like the type of women you'd want to hang out with go for it. 

mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:17 AM

Thanks I am just noy sure shes nice and all but She is used to going shopping and getting manies and stuff with her gfs

Quoting VitaBangBang:

Yes I do. And it has never had an impact on our relationship. I have friends who are better off and worse off. We find things that we can do together and things that we can all relate to and stick to doing those. 

I'd give it a shot. If she seems like the type of women you'd want to hang out with go for it. 

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:22 AM

If you are looking to make friends, give it a try.  You may find some common interests or beliefs.  If you discard the possibility of friendship to her due to different financial status, may miss out on a wonderful thing.  I have had friends from many different backgrounds.

NevaehAndAjsMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:25 AM

i wouldnt say friends that are really better off or worse off but i am an army wife so i have to meet new friends a lot if i want to have them. a lot of people i meet... we end up having a lot of differences but we can still be friends.

jollymommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:26 AM

I haven't had the privilege of meeting a friend that is outside of my social standing.   We're all medium poor.  :)  

However, if I had the opportunity to be friends with someone outside of my social class, I'd jump at the it.  There is so much for you two to learn from each other.   

mitch576
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:26 AM

yes i do... i have friends who are very powerful and wealthy.. and some who are piss poor!

sometimes it works out great..   if i want to do something, i know the ones with money can do it too. how that backfires is those same people with tons of money will be like..

"hey mitch, for shits and giggles there is a forensics seminar in boston.. whole weekend, teach us crime scene techniques, autopsy procedure.. blah blah blah... it's only 1600 bucks for the weekend"

now that's not  alotof money unless... you have three kids and your husband's income is the only one.. and he has to miss work too boot for you to go.

that's when 1600 bucks becomes a lot of money! lol     so.. it's not hard!  it's not always "easy" but it's not hard... they know you are "average" like us.

just like.. with my friends who struggle.. i know so i don't pressure them or try to make them feel bad... we just adjust our activities to fit our finances.

admin for autism, asperger's, pdd awareness
OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS
come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

VitaBangBang
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:27 AM

I'd try it. Maybe she can be your suga mama lol. 

I'm sure she understands your economic status without you having to tell her too much. I don't think she'd ask you to do things that are out of your price range. And if she does than she's not really the type of friend you need at this point and time. You never know...she might enjoy doing 'normal' things like sitting at your house and having a cup of coffee and talking. 

Quoting mamafor6:

Thanks I am just noy sure shes nice and all but She is used to going shopping and getting manies and stuff with her gfs

Quoting VitaBangBang:

mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:28 AM

Thanks Mitch thats kinda what Im worried about you know that she will ALWAYS want to things that cost money Nothing against her But I know it would bum me out to always have to say no

Quoting mitch576:

yes i do... i have friends who are very powerful and wealthy.. and some who are piss poor!

sometimes it works out great..   if i want to do something, i know the ones with money can do it too. how that backfires is those same people with tons of money will be like..

"hey mitch, for shits and giggles there is a forensics seminar in boston.. whole weekend, teach us crime scene techniques, autopsy procedure.. blah blah blah... it's only 1600 bucks for the weekend"

now that's not  alotof money unless... you have three kids and your husband's income is the only one.. and he has to miss work too boot for you to go.

that's when 1600 bucks becomes a lot of money! lol     so.. it's not hard!  it's not always "easy" but it's not hard... they know you are "average" like us.

just like.. with my friends who struggle.. i know so i don't pressure them or try to make them feel bad... we just adjust our activities to fit our finances.

VitaBangBang
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:30 AM

If she always asks you to do things out of your price range than she's not the kind of friend you need. Ya know? 

Quoting mamafor6:

Thanks Mitch thats kinda what Im worried about you know that she will ALWAYS want to things that cost money Nothing against her But I know it would bum me out to always have to say no

Quoting mitch576:

mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:31 AM

I need to add her husband owns my husbands shop. So I would be friends with husband boss's wife

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)