Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speech Therapy?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:47 AM
  • 51 Replies

Has anyone ever been through it with their kids?

My DS is 17 months and only says dada, and sometimes says mama. His doctor is concerned so we have a speech therapy appointment on Thursday.

I'm wondering what to expect? You can't make a kid talk. Are they just going to see if he understands words?  He does understand things, like if I tell him go get his shoes, pick up his toys, etc, he does that. Not all the time cause sometimes he just don't listen, but he does do it most of the time.

But I think if someone else told him to do that, he wouldn't listen lol. I also think that if he was in an unfamilar environment (like the speech therapist office), he might not listen if I ask him to do things, simply because he will be excited/anxious about being somewhere new.

How do they go about evaluating a child that young?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WhitleyLyles
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:49 AM
I think that is way tooo young.
My ds is 21 months and he is quiet too. He communicates when he needs to.
Boys in general are slower in developing.
If he was completely quiet and NEVER spoke then I would be worried.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:51 AM

He does try to communicate, he just doesn't say words.

Like if he wants me to help him work a toy, he brings the toy to me. Sometimes he will babble when he does it but sometimes not. He doesn't say real words though. I try to get him to tell me what the toy is or what he wants but he just gets frustrated and cries.

Quoting WhitleyLyles:

CafeMom Tickers
Mipsy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:52 AM

Bump for later. I'm going through this with my son. We actually start his first session this Friday. I'll tell you more when I get out of bed, lol!

So with my son all they did was ask us a lot of questions of what he can and can't do and what we think he can and can't say, do, or understand. They played with him and asked him stuff and tried to get him to talk. They mostly played with him though and then ask us lots of questions. A lot relies on what you say really. GL!

matofour
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:52 AM
Start now!! It's play therapy, they won't make him say anything. But will do all sorts of things to encourage talking, and teach you too.
First they will tell you, no bottles, no binkys, no sippies, he needs to be on a straw cup. It works his muscles that promote good speaking.
You want him to start now before he gets frustrated, or turns three. Once he turns three, you depend on the school district for speech.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NevaehAndAjsMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:52 AM

my dr told me that some children just dont talk very much until they are two or older. and that i shouldnt worry as long as my son is showing sign os communication... like what you just listed... following orders and such. i honestly wouldnt worry about it. my DS is 21 months now and i 17 months he was only saying a word or two but now he says quite a few. imo i wouldnt take my child until they were at least 2

MommyOnLI
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:53 AM

at 17 months old, if your son qualifies he will be in early intervention.  with that the services are done at home.

speech is taught through play, and if your child does not seem to progress they may introduce PECS (picture exchange communication system)

we also bought BabyBumblee videos and flash cards and had the DVDs on in the house all day long (background noise)

my DS is now 3 and wont shut up.

teach through play: i.e. boys like cars... so the therapist may have a bus, your DS is playing with the bus, but the therapist is teaching him how to say bus.

mom2ljh
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:55 AM

You're right, they can't MAKE him talk, but they have ways of teaching him that, as a parent, we just don't know to do.  Its also a person other than Mommy or Daddy giving him instruction.  The bulk of the evaluation will come from talking to you about his abilities.  It is possible to have an EXPRESSIVE language (talking) delay without having a RECEPTIVE language (understand, following instruction, etc.) delay.  DS had a sever expressive language delay (11 month level at 22 months) but was RIGHT on target for receptive.  He saw a therapist weekly and they did a lot of playing.  The therapist will try to tap into what your child enjoys and use that to reward attempts at verbalization.  For DS, it wound up being stickers.  After months of little to no progress, she realized his love for stickers and things just started to fall into place.  He was willing to do ANYTHING for a sticker.
Nine months after therapy started, he was discharged.  He is RIGHT on age level now and never shuts up.  I LOVE it.
They can definitely do a lot for delays and the younger you get help, the quicker it can be corrected.  Good luck with everything. 

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Quoting matofour:

Start now!! It's play therapy, they won't make him say anything. But will do all sorts of things to encourage talking, and teach you too.
First they will tell you, no bottles, no binkys, no sippies, he needs to be on a straw cup. It works his muscles that promote good speaking.
You want him to start now before he gets frustrated, or turns three. Once he turns three, you depend on the school district for speech.

Yeah..the straw thing isn't going to work lol. If I give him a straw cup he is going to turn it upside down and make a mess. Or take the lid off and pour it. Been there, done that lol

He is still on the bottle for the same reason. If I give him a sippy, he takes a few drinks and swallows, then takes another drink and spits it out all over himself. He likes to make messes lol

CafeMom Tickers
Shaylyn318
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:57 AM

My DS is in speech. It didn't start until last spring. His dr is an idiot and was never concerned about anything. So I never got him seen earlier. Head Start helped me get him seen. We go to the elementary school once a week for a half hour. He doesn't always corporate. He gets bored very easily and refuses to do what he is supposed to. He would rather play. That is another concern of mine since he starts kindergarten next year. 

mom2ljh
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Quoting WhitleyLyles:

Does it matter?  If there is a delay, its not like the therapy will harm the child, and it will actually help him.  Kids at that age learn through play anyhow, so it will just be a form of play therapy.  I contacted Early Intervention at 19 months for DS and he began receiving services at 22 months.  The earlier a speech delay is caught and treated, the less time it will take to correct over all.  There's no reason not to see help.  The worst that can happen is that the evaluation shows the child has no delay and then he won't receive services.  
Having had a severe speech delay myself, and going through 7 years of therapy (and ridicule from classmates along the way) to correct it, I knew I didn't want that for my son.  I knew that, the sooner the problem was diagnosed and dealt with, the quicker it could be corrected.  It just made no sense to me to wait and see what happened when I knew I could help him now.  That age really isn't too young at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)