Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ant Bites - I know it isn't drama...but I really could use some advice

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:40 AM
  • 38 Replies

Thankfully this post is not about my kids lol!

The kids were washing the truck day before yesterday (Sunday) and I went out to check and see how they were doing.  One side didn't look like they had even touched it.  My son didn't tell me why until after I figured it out myself!  I walked along the side and stopped to point something out to my son and suddenly my feet felt like they were on fire!  I looked down and...yep...fire and nest!  In the middle of our yard!  I hosed off real quick, rubbed down with alcohol and used afterbite on each and every one.  But I have 20 bites over both my feet (6 on my right foot, the rest on my left..left foot was the one right on top of the nest). 

I am, thankfully, not allergic to them. But my issue is that they keep forming little blisters.  My husband grew up dealing with ant bites by breaking the blisters and using rubbing alcohol to stop the itching and keep the area clean.  I have been using afterbite as well because I feel like I will scratch my skin off if I don't.  Any ideas on what else I can do ladies?  It is driving me nuts!

I live in SW Florida if it helps any, and I have never been bit by ants before moving here so I am at a loss of what else can be done.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
massteria
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:50 AM

BUMP!

massteria
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Maybe I should change the title...the theme of the morning seems to be suicide, confessions, and bullies lol!

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:17 AM
Wow. Thank God you are not allergic. If that had been me, both of legs would have swelled so bad i would be in the er. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pochaccotx
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:19 AM

I have always just sprayed windex on ant bites because the ammonia in it draws out the poison.

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:19 AM

benadryl can help, just dont double up on a diphenhydramine cream and a pill, bc you will consume too much. a cool compress will help too. and amdro the ever loving shit out of that ant pile. 

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:20 AM

oh - and dont break the blisters - that can let in bacteria. 

Seans_mommy123
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:21 AM

This. Fire ants suck

Quoting teri4lance:

benadryl can help, just dont double up on a diphenhydramine cream and a pill, bc you will consume too much. a cool compress will help too. and amdro the ever loving shit out of that ant pile. 

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:22 AM

If and when you are ever stung again. Rub some womens deodorant on them. I freaking hate fire ants. I get them on me when I wash my truck or tend to my garden. They hurt!!!

massteria
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Hubby gets paid today and we are planning on picking up stuff to kill the nests.  We have found 5 more in different parts of our yard (one of them by the side door right next to the garbage cans!).  It is hard to let the kids go out and play when we know they are out there lol!

Quoting teri4lance:

prego7386
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:23 AM

i always would run my feet under really really cold water to get them to stop itching and stinging...get a big bowl and put cold water with ice cubes in it and put your feet in it when they start acting up. they wont swell up as bad either

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)