Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom who have experienced preterm labor or seasoned moms please help!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:01 AM
  • 13 Replies

Since late last night I've been having lots of lower back pain and menstrual type cramps. Well I've had it since 2 days ago but it started getting really uncomfortable last night. I was able to go to sleep but as I would wake to pee and then again this morning it's been constant. Maybe even getting worse. The back pain is what's really bother me. The menstrual like cramps seem to come and go. I know this can be a sign of preterm labor but I was just at the Dr. yesterday and I just don't want to make a big deal out of nothing. I am still losing my mucus plug as I just had another toilet paper with the crap on it. I am 34 weeks and last week was dilated to 1cm. I told them not to check me this week when they asked. I go to the hospital tomorrow for my biophysical profile and my NST.

What would you do?

*I* took tylenol about 1 hr ago and started downing my water like always since my fluid levels are at 8 as of last week which is low. I've been resting but that's what I always do since I'm on bed rest but I do have a toddler.

Should I wait it out? Should I call? What are OTHER reasons for what I am experiencing?

Oh and she's still breech. I also had a FFN test 8 days ago that was negative. This back pain is new with this pregnancy. I haven't had this at all which is why it worries me.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Logansmommy34
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:03 AM

call ure doc and ask them what they think you should FFN are great but i dont think they are 100%.

lillynbraedyn
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:05 AM
I think I would call my ob just to be on the safe side. I started having those pains with my dd she was born 19hrs later at 35wks. Good luck mama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveDare
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:06 AM

If drinking water and laying on your left side didn't help, I would definitely call your doctor and ask what they suggest you do. Chances are, they will want you to come in to be monitored for a while.

This could be caused by a lot of things, but there is no sense in waiting it out when you can ask your doc. Good luck.

massteria
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:09 AM

I would call the ob.  I had preterm labor with both of my children.  It wasn't a big deal with my son as it started at 34 weeks, but with dd it started at 31.  I had back pain, menstrual type cramping, and tightening in my belly.  Much of what you are describing.

I also dilated early due to having a 'butter cervix' as the doctor put it.  Braxton Hicks contractions would cause me to efface and dilate.  If you were 1 cm so early, then you need to talk to your ob and possible hit the er/labor and delivery ward for monitoring.

KaylasMiracle
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Call your doc hun...it's always better to be safe than sorry. And if nothing else it will ease your mind, b/c stressing over it isn't good for you or the baby.

Xstitchinmom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Sounds like you're going into labor if you're losing the mucus plug. I would get to the doc asap so he/she can check you out. I went into pre-term labor at 27 weeks with my dd. I was 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced. Luckily, she held on and I had her on the due date. With ds, the same thing happened...at 30 weeks. I was in the hospital for a week, and given a powerful steroid to stop labor. It worked, but I was already dilated. A month later, I went in for a routine ob appt after hours of hard contractions. I just thought they were BH contractions, and wasn't going to tell the doc. They checked me and I was already 5 cm. I WALKED up to L&D (they offered a wheelchair, but I refused lol) and had ds six hours later...

HARVESTMOONMICHELE.gif picture by Michele34_photo

82ndairbornewif
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:20 AM
This

Quoting LoveDare:

If drinking water and laying on your left side didn't help, I would definitely call your doctor and ask what they suggest you do. Chances are, they will want you to come in to be monitored for a while.

This could be caused by a lot of things, but there is no sense in waiting it out when you can ask your doc. Good luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christy644
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:20 AM

I started contractions at 21 weeks with my daughter. Felt exactly like your describing. I was dilated to a 2 most of my pregnancy! Call your OB. They might have to put you on some meds to keep you out of labor. 

Nothing to panic about. Don't get too worked up. Just call and go in. They will know what to do. 

You may end up on some bedrest. That's sooooo much fun *eye roll*

jridgill
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Thanks ladies!

I have been on bedrest since 28 weeks. I do have a 23 month old though so theres only so much rest I can get. I've called and left a message with them.

Quoting Christy644:

I started contractions at 21 weeks with my daughter. Felt exactly like your describing. I was dilated to a 2 most of my pregnancy! Call your OB. They might have to put you on some meds to keep you out of labor. 

Nothing to panic about. Don't get too worked up. Just call and go in. They will know what to do. 

You may end up on some bedrest. That's sooooo much fun *eye roll*

jridgill
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:44 AM

sigh sigh sigh

I go in at 10:30am

thanks ladies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)