Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The infamous Mom guilt...does it ever go away...?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:10 AM
  • 14 Replies

So my son is only 16 months old and already, every night I fall asleep thinking about something I think I could have done better that day or something I'm not doing good enough that I should fix...and I get that god awful feeling in my gut. It sucks! Granted, none of these things I worry about are terrible or in dire need of changing but it goes back to the "I want what's best for my child" and so often I feel like I'm failing. What's with "Mom guilt"...how badly does it affect you ladies? Or am I just crazy??

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gabeys_Mommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:11 AM
It affects me everyday. Simple answer is no, it never goes away..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sh2991ba
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:12 AM

No, I get what you're saying.  I don't know if it ever goes away.  My DD is 1 and I usually feel bad for something, like not being as patient with her as I could have been.  Or being annoyed by her endless tantrums.

Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Nope, the mom guilt never does go away. Okay, I've only been doing this for 5 years, but so far it doesn't go away. It does get easier when you realize the world won't explode if your LO watches cartoons all morning lol, but it's still there.

SouthernShawnee
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I definitely feel ya

Quoting sh2991ba:

No, I get what you're saying.  I don't know if it ever goes away.  My DD is 1 and I usually feel bad for something, like not being as patient with her as I could have been.  Or being annoyed by her endless tantrums.

SouthernShawnee
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:15 AM

That's one of my "mom guilts". He doesn't do it all the time but it does happen and I ALWAYS feel guilty.

Quoting Mamie_85:

Nope, the mom guilt never does go away. Okay, I've only been doing this for 5 years, but so far it doesn't go away. It does get easier when you realize the world won't explode if your LO watches cartoons all morning lol, but it's still there.

bupkie
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Go away, no.... get better, some yes....   Some things haunt me.... but knowing I did the best I could, and tried my best.... .. does make it easier.   

TV.... well, you can do your best to edit what they do watch.   If they watch "quality" kids shows.... (IE ... Disney Channel shows...) they can actually learn a LOT.... by watching.... They can develop a larger vocabulary base - and understanding ... which is then the foundation for a strong reading start.   My oldest watched  Bear in the Big Blue House, Rolie Polie Olie, and Toy Story 1 & 2  almost daily.... and he had an extensive early vocabulary and started reading (well) at 4 on his OWN.   My youngest also started reading at 4...  both are levels ahead of their classes in reading.     

TV isn't all bad.    Guide them to what can teach them...  they learn about social behaviors from what they watch as well.  Using TV as a teaching tool, asking about the shows, talking about what they saw, what they think of it.... what was bad or good is also great for them!   

Quoting SouthernShawnee:

That's one of my "mom guilts". He doesn't do it all the time but it does happen and I ALWAYS feel guilty.

Quoting Mamie_85:

Bupkie.....

*** My philosophy on sharing info is that it's just free info (not advice) so please take it or leave it. If it fits great! If not, leave it on the ground and dance on it for fun!!! :) ***dancing

my4kids274
by Drill Sergeant Mommy on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Nope it never goes away.  On a daily basis I think about what I could have done differently to curtail some behavior in my 4 children.  I just attribute it to being a mom.

KaylaMillar
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:38 AM

are you doing your best?  If so, you have nothing to be guilty for. 

TNmom2three

yes! I agree. My 2 year old watches a lot of Dora and Diego, and even Calliou and now she likes Kai-Lan. I don't know much about Kai-lan yet because I have only seen one episode a hundred times. She is almost 3 and speaks soooo well. She has a huge vocabulary and blows me away some of the things she says. I think she speaks better then my other 2 did at this age.

Quoting bupkie:

Go away, no.... get better, some yes....   Some things haunt me.... but knowing I did the best I could, and tried my best.... .. does make it easier.   

TV.... well, you can do your best to edit what they do watch.   If they watch "quality" kids shows.... (IE ... Disney Channel shows...) they can actually learn a LOT.... by watching.... They can develop a larger vocabulary base - and understanding ... which is then the foundation for a strong reading start.   My oldest watched  Bear in the Big Blue House, Rolie Polie Olie, and Toy Story 1 & 2  almost daily.... and he had an extensive early vocabulary and started reading (well) at 4 on his OWN.   My youngest also started reading at 4...  both are levels ahead of their classes in reading.     

TV isn't all bad.    Guide them to what can teach them...  they learn about social behaviors from what they watch as well.  Using TV as a teaching tool, asking about the shows, talking about what they saw, what they think of it.... what was bad or good is also great for them!   

Quoting SouthernShawnee:

Quoting Mamie_85:

Search & Win

jedi_momma2

Nope, never goes away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)