• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

General vs Personal

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:01 AM
  • 6 Replies
I have wondered this many times on CM before....
Why do people take posts that are (in most cases) meant for a general purpose so personally?
Not everything is a personal attack, nor do many OP's or those who reply have an agenda to attack a specific member of CM. Soooo, why is everyone always getting so "butt hurt"?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
StarryRain
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:02 AM
1. This does not mean YOU, lol
2. I do know that some posts and replies are meant for specific people. i am not daft.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlacksheepSati
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:24 AM

beacuase peeps like to ride in the wahhhmbulance

Jerzymom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Well, I see I am the first to answer this.  I guess it depends on the individual. Some people are more sensitive than others. But I agree. If you post a question, you are asking for an opinion If you don't like what that person said, then don't ask.   What I mean is, just let it go. Why get offended. The person is not your friend. It's just someone online giving their unbiased opinion, which is better anyway, because they are being honest. Am I making any sense?  ;o)

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:43 AM

I agree.  I wrote a short article about something along these lines:

In General

In General

In writing many times you will see a statement being made about a particular group of people, and then you will see this immediately followed by the phrase:  "in general."  What does that mean and why does the writer add that phrase?

Here are some examples:

Unwed relationships Are Inferior to Marriage In General

There is a DIFFERENCE between the outcomes of the children of teen mothers IN GENERAL, as compared to the children of older mothers.

This means that the writer is NOT talking about every single marriage in existence, or the outcome of every single child of teen mothers.  The last thing you should do in response to this is to write about your own experience that you feel is a counter example to the statement.
For example, if you see a statement that says: Children do better in school, in general, when raised by both parents.  Let's say that your children were raised only by one parent, and they did better in school than some of their peers who were raised by both parents.  Should you write a response countering the statement about children performing better when raised by both parents?  NO.  Why?  Because the author NEVER SAID that ALL children raised by both parents perform better in school than ALL children of single parents.

generally

MommyAnnaBanana
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Quoting BlacksheepSati:

gulfcoastmom4
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Quoting MommyAnnaBanana:

Quoting BlacksheepSati:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)