Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need a few tips on how to compete (kinda long, sorry)

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:29 AM
  • 5 Replies

Ok, I'm a sahm and I really want some form of income bc I kinda feel like a bum and we need a little extra for bills. Well I told dh and he said "ok if you can make it to jan. without having to go to the dr (I had to go to the e.r. the other day about my back long story & not the point) and I'm not including your neurologist bc thats different and if you can go til jan. without having a seizure then I say go for it". I know it sounds controlling but at the same time given my track record with seizures he worries (which yes is a good thing but damn it he worries too much sometimes lol). The reason he says jan. is bc it will mess with our income taxes if I get one now (I think theres some kind of tax break if I don't work since I don't draw unemployment or disability). 

Well I talked to my mom and I'm thinking about selling Avon. Make my own hours, don't have to leave the house every day, etc. It sounds like a pretty good deal to me (even if you do have to sell like $200 to get $60).

I live in a small town and I checked to see how many avon ladies there are in my super small town. There are at LEAST 5 (only 5 actually listed Lafayette as where they live).

Damnit how do I compete with that?  Like I said I live in a small town and at least 5 avon ladies? Come on! I'm about 50/50 on my neighbor being a potential customer (and I shouldn't have mentioned it to her daughter who needs a job bc she'll probably make avon lady #6).

Maybe, and I know that this is underhanded and low, but what if I got my mom to start selling down here, I handle her deliveries, and then sometime the first of the year she says she can't do it this far away anymore and I take over for her? Would that make me too rotten? Hell would it even be legal?

Do any of you have any tips on how I can compete with the other minimum of 5 women selling avon in my small town? Sorry this has been so long.

119594691848019-1.gif animated siggy by Leigh picture by sweetalli07

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
BlacksheepSati
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Avon is a tottally glutted market. you are not going to very likely succeed at it with that stiff competition

Mitch_Gray37
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:54 AM
Sell mary kay?

Sorry that's all I got.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetalli07
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:26 PM

BUMP!

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:35 PM

You have to stand out. Run sales! Find different ways to get your name out there. Good Luck!

VitaBangBang
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:38 PM

WHen I was stateside I used to see a lil fish bowl in the place where I got my nails done offering a 'free makeover' if you put your name on a piece of paper in the bowl. 
It was an avon lady who would come and do your makeup for you. Then try to sell you products. But still....free is free.

Maybe do something like that?

IDk. It's all I got. Sorry.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)