Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Year Round Schooling

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:48 AM
  • 171 Replies

What is everyones opinion on year round schooling?

I think it would be a good idea instead of making the school year / day longer.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jennifer43245
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:50 AM

NO, kids need a break.  Also, Some kids go to Summer school also! So, NO, I do not think school should be all year round!  Kids would get burned out!

Jennifer  --- Special Education teacher and Early Childhood teacher.

k_hall1784
I honestly don't care if they made the day or the year longer. Its all about our children learning more. Its sad how many of us are "against" the idea as a whole. SMH
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3ridesnow
My kids are on year round. I love it! We get 3 weeks off track every few months and just when they start to get "bored" they go back to school!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IleanRight
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:51 AM

NO! Kids need to be kids and have free time. Back  home they get 2 weeks off every 9 weeks and a shorter summer (6 weeks) I could deal with that but not year round.

Jennifer43245
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Kids have a right to play with thier friends over the summer and go on vacations!!! Just like adults do!!! They would not be able to be in swimming lessons during the summer or summer camps if school was all year round!

How many kids do you have? (If any?)

Jennifer43245
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:53 AM

If you want to have your kids have that structure or learning then put them in a daycare center! That is all year round!!!!!

k_hall1784
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:54 AM
I don't think the kids would get burnt out. Noone is saying make them go to school 7 days a week for 12 hours all year long. If that were the case, then yes, they would get burnt out. Lol. But making my sons 6 hour day a 7 or 8 hour day wouldn't kill him. My son starts school at 9 and gets out at 3. It wouldn't hurt if he started at 8. And it also wouldn't hurt him to go to school from September through July. Kids DON'T need 3 months off from school at one time.

Quoting Jennifer43245:

NO, kids need a break.  Also, Some kids go to Summer school also! So, NO, I do not think school should be all year round!  Kids would get burned out!

Jennifer  --- Special Education teacher and Early Childhood teacher.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlacksheepSati
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Our summber breaks are WAYYYYYYYYYYYY tooo long. younger children especially LOSE informatino and skills they were working during that time period, lets face it most parents dont do ANY educational support activities during the summer. Kids benefit from structure in thier lives. i believe that year round schooling with 2 weeks break intervals would be HIGHLY beneficial to most kids

the reason we have the long summer break is no longer necessary. it used to be so kids could help out on the FARM. most kids are no longer in a farm setting

jeanellensmommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I think Year round is a good idea. That way, the stuff they learn  doesn't have time to get lost. I know, a good parent would continue the lessons at home during the summer, But a lot of parents would think summer time is the kid's time off.  Then, they have to re-learn a lot of stuff before they can go on learning what they should for that year.

mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:57 AM

See I like this idea and not to mention what about the kids who families own farms they NEED that time off to work the farm

Quoting IleanRight:

NO! Kids need to be kids and have free time. Back  home they get 2 weeks off every 9 weeks and a shorter summer (6 weeks) I could deal with that but not year round.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)