• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a very real opportunity but pretty scared... UPDATE

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:56 AM
  • 37 Replies

Right now, I am in WA visiting my sister.  I am from PA.  My husband has been trying for several years to get out of his dead end job and into a career.  We barely make ends meet.  Bash me if you will, but we do get public assistance (and before you say anything about my trip to WA while on assistance, my sister paid for this trip so I could help her out because her husband is deployed and she has 5 children)

Anyway, before my sister was ever stationed out here, my husband and I talked about how real the possibility of relocating is.  Where we live, there is very LITTLE opportunity.  So last night, my sister and I were talking and she offered for us to move here.  I would have a job as her nanny and we would stay here rent and bill free (all we would pay is food, our cell phones and a storage unit, plus whatever moving costs.) Then she would figure a price to pay me for watching her kids (all 5) and keeping her house clean then deduct a bit for rent and utilities.   In all, it would average about $800/month that I alone would make with no real bills to pay for. 

My husband is a Navy reservist.  He can work on base (which is VERY close here in WA), attempt to get into recruiting, or try for a civilian police job.  There is a job placement program that I will be calling today to see what info I can get and to see if DH needs to fly out here or if it can wait.

If we decide NOT to move and stay in PA, basically we would just keep doing what we are doing.  He would work his warehouse job, keep applying for police jobs and in 3 years when his enlistment is up, if he has not gotten a police job by then, he would re-enlist as active duty and we would become a full time Navy family.

If we leave PA, we would be leaving most  of our family and friends.  In WA I have a friend (who I worked with in PA and coincidentally, she ended up in the same town in WA that we are considering moving to lol) and my sister is in WA obviously.  My dad has the money to just jump on the plane and come visit.  I would probably not see my mom much and DH's dad would have a blast taking this road trip.

Its a very real and very scary decision for us and we just want to do what is best for our family.  What would you do?

**Well after a lot of talking and praying, we decided to do it.  It was not an easy decision, and my mom is pretty upset but mostly the rest of my family understands.  They understand that we need a better quality of life for us and for our children.  That we do not want to raise our children in the same financial mess that we were raised.  We want to do this while they are young.  We just need to keep praying but DH is packing our apartment this week and he will leave soon.  Then he will stay with either his brother or his father and he will drive out on the 21st. I am so scared but I can't wait to have my husband here.  I think I will be able to breathe a little better once he gets here.  I haven't seen him since September 7th, I miss him so much!!

Thank you so much for your support and advice.  This is so scary for me and it really helps to have so many unbiased opinions telling me that this is a good and selfless move. 

My mom literally made me feel so guilty that I cried =(

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
harvgal04
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Do it.....I know how it is in PA, atleast where i live, it sucks in the job area

lopez2388
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:59 AM

i hate living with people. i think a married couple should live in their own. its not the same living by yourself with your husband

carolina_gal
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:01 AM

A wonderful quote:  She who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing.

Addiemom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I would do it in a heartbeat. Just curious if your husband can switch to Active Duty before his contract is up with the reserves? I know we've had quite a few friends do that in the Army.

mommynoble
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:03 AM

I say go for it! Yes it definetly will be very scary but thats only because you are going into the unknown but sometimes you just have to do stuff that you have never done before this can be a fresh start! Good Luck!

mevsthem
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I would do it.  It sounds like it may work out for you! GO FOR IT!!

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:05 AM

He has tried but the Navy is not hurting for people so they denied him, we have a better chance of him negotiating an active duty contract upon reenlistment. 

And for the person who said married couples should live on their own... I agree and it would only be temporary until DH gets settled into a job and we can find a nice rental close by, which shouldn't be hard.

Quoting Addiemom:

I would do it in a heartbeat. Just curious if your husband can switch to Active Duty before his contract is up with the reserves? I know we've had quite a few friends do that in the Army.

mommatbot

I would do it.

KellyReedy

I'd do it!!!!

AngieDawn28
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Relocating is scary but I say go for it! Sounds like you have a great plan.

I moved from Pa to Mi 6 years ago and not once have I regretted my decision. My life is so much better here!

Good luck to your and your family!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)