Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Angel tree?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:37 AM
  • 14 Replies

I was wondering if you participate in this. I had seen posts on here in the past, but moms were complaining about it. Please tell me the ups and downs of this. I thought it went to needy families. Of course there are going to be some big wishes like Wii and PS3. If you can't afford it don't buy it. How many moms and their families participate with this?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Ihave been doing it for several years. I have a lot of fun with it. Usually I pick a child close to the age of my kids so they can help me choose the toys ands stuff. This year I have been saving up money and stuff so that I can do more for the kids I pick. Some times people ask for big things. I try to look for ones that ask for simple things. I also like to do ones for the elderly people at the nursing homes. On those the people sometimes ask for simple things like a certain color of nail polish and thats it.

lovelily79
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:01 PM

I may do it this yr, but as I've looked on the tree at our local Wal-Mart in the past I saw kids asking for outrageous things like Nintendo Ds's and things like that....really turned me off

armywife2009101
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:02 PM

We do it everyear. We usually do three kids. Two kids usally ask for nexpensive things. Last year a child asked for n IPOD we paid for hlf of it and my dad offered to pay for the other half. So, we will probably do the same thing this year.

armywife2009101
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Excuse the typos, I dont know whats wrong with my keyboard.

IleanRight
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:03 PM

we always adopt a family but not from the angel tree we help families on our military post

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:08 PM

There was a post yesterday that mentioned this program also. I looked it up and from what I saw it looked like it was for families that had one or both parents incarcerated.........maybe I was looking at the wrong "angel tree program"........

perfectkitten
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I don't think that's the criteria. Although they do have programs for children to get presents when one is incarcerated.

mitty18
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:29 PM

We get a boy and girl off the tree each year. Comes out of the funds we have put back for our son and the gifts are from him. Its to help him remember how God gave his son to a world of needy people. 

perfectkitten
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:29 PM

BUMP!

snowmommy0406
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I have been on both ends of the tree, I have picked one kid from the salvation army tree every year with the exception of the year that my ex walked out and i went from being a sahm to working part time and going to school and that year my kids would not have had any kind of christmas without the angel tree.  I think it is a great program, last year we even picked out 2 kids, We always buy one full outfit, and a big toy and a board game for the kid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)