Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay not bashing, but can you explain why you do this with your kids? **EDIT**

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:03 PM
  • 360 Replies

Alright I'm going to say right off the bat that I don't understand why parents do this, I'm not trying to sound judgemental I just honestly don't understand. I have two kids, and their health and nutrition are very important to me. I would not offer up something to them that is unhealthy just to do it. I used to run a chocolate boutique and I would see people feeding truffles to their 7 or 8 month old kids. Why? Wouldn't you want to hold off on the bad stuff as long as possible? My daughter had her first piece of cake at her first birthday party, because it didn't come up before then. I took her for ice cream for the first time just before she was 2 to celebrate completing potty training. She has never had soda. She's had m&ms because we used them for potty training and she had 3 Reece's peanut butter cups because they came out of her pinata at her second birthday party. I'm not saying this is what everyone should do, just that it's what I do. I feel most everything is okay in moderation, but I'm not going to initiate eating unhealthy things for no reason. So my question is, if you give your young kids unhealthy things to eat, why? If there is no occasion why do you do it? Is it because they get excited by the sugar, and that makes you feel good? Or do you just not think it's a big deal and you aren't that health conscious. Honestly, your kids...... do what you want...I just don't understand it, and I'm looking for some insight.

******Okay since no one understood the questionI will state is using less words. "Why initiate sweets with small children?"

This is not a post about how healthy my kids eat or how I'm better than you. Geeze you guys would feel attacked no matter what is said. My question is about small children a year or year and a half old.

OKAY NOW IN RED CAPS FOR THE PEOPLE WHO ARE JUST LOOKING FOR A FIGHT. I GIVE MY CHILD SWEETS, WE BAKE TOGETHER. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE INTITATION. I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT A 7 YEAR OLD'S EATING HABITS. I'M TALKING ABOUT VERY YOUNG CHILDREN GIVEN SWEETS FOR NO REASON. BEFORE THEY CAN EVEN ASK FOR THINGS

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ganfield_c
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:04 PM

honestly because i dont think its that big of deal and its not gonna kill them to have alittle treat like we have

two4one
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Because I don't think a candy bar or donut once a week is going to kill them. They deserve a treat, just like I treat myself.

Brianav
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:05 PM
Oh geez.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armywifenmom09
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:06 PM
I do it as an occasional treat. I see no reason not to. Just like Saturday is their adopted Papaw's birthday so they will get all kinds of unhealthy food
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GrippyBits2
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:07 PM

my daughter really gets almost zero sweets and candy at home. She is perfectly content with that too...she loves veggies!

falonandquinn

this

Quoting Brianav:

Oh geez.

Bknotnobody

I had a mother tell me recently she doesn't care what her kid eats, as long as he/she eats. I about fell over... hey to each their own. I like you will be very concerned about what my kid eats, because I came from a family who let me eat junk my entire life, I pay the price now, because I'm such a picky eater, I can't grow out of the habit. It sucks.

twocutetwins09

If you were as concerned about eating healthy as you try to portray, you wouldn't be giving her sweets as treats.

I am a discipline enforcing, cry it out method using, possible extended rear facing, sometimes unsure of myself, failed at breastfeeding but wants to try again, gun loving, middle of the road kind ofproud of my husband for everything he doesChristian by my own standards mommy of beautiful preemie twin girls and wife to an amazing Army soldier.

southern_momof2
Everything in moderation, that's my motto. My kids get treats every once in a while. I see nothing wrong with it. I will do what I want with my kids and no one will tell me otherwise. I don't really care what anyone else thinks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
art.diva
Unless they find a way to sneak it, the first sweets my kids have is their birthday cake. And I get bashed by other moms all the time for it. I'm apparently too uptight

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)