Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training my 2 and a half year old. helps please!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:20 PM
  • 10 Replies

We have started potty training, And she will use the potty when i tell her she needs to. How ever she wont tell me when she needs to go and i can Not get her to poo in the potty!! GRRR. Can any one give me tips. Any thing you think might help. i'm willing to give anything a go :)

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MOMby19
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:22 PM

That's usually how it starts. They need to learn what it feels like to need to go to the bathroom before they can go on their own. As for pooping... DS has been pee potty trained for 6 months now and STILL won't poop on the toilet, so, I'm no help there.

Peytonsmom6308
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:36 PM

BUMP!

Newtons06
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:38 PM
Don't use pull ups except maybe at night. They hindered my ds. When we took him out of pull ups and strictly underwear except at bifgt, it took him about a week to get potty trained.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
judybant
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:39 PM

is she dry at night, ALL night, 6 or more nights out of 7? If not, she doesn't have the muscle control to do it. She also may not know what it feels like to "need" to use the toilet yet. Wait until she DOES start telling you she needs to go. Once they're ready, it takes a week or less to "train" them. If it is taking longer than that... YOU are potty trained, not the child.

Peytonsmom6308
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:43 PM

she is dry every morning when she gets up. she sits in her room and plays and she waits until i take her to the potty to pee in the AM. I had never heard that pull ups can hold her back though. what else should i use? or just take her to the potty more and hope she doesn't pee on my stuff? :)

MOMby19
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Quoting Peytonsmom6308:

she is dry every morning when she gets up. she sits in her room and plays and she waits until i take her to the potty to pee in the AM. I had never heard that pull ups can hold her back though. what else should i use? or just take her to the potty more and hope she doesn't pee on my stuff? :)

I got rid of ALL pull-ups. They really hindered DS. It was underwear only. I took him to the bathroom every 30 mintues like clock work. Then, it was every hour. And then he started just going by himself.

Codysmom22908
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:12 PM

she might not be ready....

Peytonsmom6308
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I'm willing to give anything a try. :) all i need to do is get her to say it and i'll be good. she does it when i put her there! lol

Quoting MOMby19:

Quoting Peytonsmom6308:

I got rid of ALL pull-ups. They really hindered DS. It was underwear only. I took him to the bathroom every 30 mintues like clock work. Then, it was every hour. And then he started just going by himself.

jurobelle
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:37 PM

naked was the best thing for both of my kids. my son never told me when he needed to go but if he didnt have pants on he went on his own (pee and poop). This went on for about 5 months. now he will go on his own with or without pants on but if he has them on he will throw them in the trash (becase that's what we do with pull-ups) and .... that's usually how he ends up pants-less around the house! lol my daughter was a BREEEZE though! no problems AT ALL at 15m/o

uglyrose
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:46 PM

I have all boys so I don't know if there is a difference. My now 17 yr old was afraid to poo in the toilet, maybe because it took a little more work to do that, he was afraid he would fall in! I used to celebrate everytime they used tthe toilet, with or without results.  As for telling you when she needs to go, I think if she is comfortable and able to sit on the toilet or her potty solo she will do it on her own. Don't rush, have patience, it'll happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)