Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Post Vaccine fevers and breastfeeding

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:54 PM
  • 5 Replies

Poll

Question: Did you baby have a fever after vaccines? (if you have more than 1 child, do the poll on your youngest child and feel free to add additional info in the replies)

Options:

EBF - Yes they had a fever

EBF- No fever

Combo fed- Yes Fever

Combo fed- No fever

Formula- Yes fever

Formula- No fever

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 6

View Results

I'm a pediatrics RN and I was reading an interesting article on the relationship between fever after vaccines and breastfeeding.

The study says that if a baby is exclusively breastfed they have a decreased risk of fever after immunizations.

In the study there were 450 infants... some exclusively breastfed, some both breast and formula fed, and some exclusively formula fed.

The study found that 53% of formula fed babies had a fever, 31% of breast/formula fed babies had a fever and that 25% of exclusively breastfed babies had a fever.

Here is a link to a similar article that I was reading: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/722036

Now, for those who don't understand how these studies work (this IS cafemom, people can jump to all kinds of false conclusions) this just means that breastfeeding decreases these risks of fever... it does NOT mean that if your baby is breastfed they will never have a fever.... NOR does it mean that a formula fed baby WILL have a fever.

**Note** this is not a breastfeeding or vaccine debate.... just some interesting info... and I thought I would do a poll to see how the mom's on cafemom match up to this study.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
armygirl16
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM

My daughter doesn't have any vaccines.  That is interesting though.  I hadn't heard that before. 

AmiJanell
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Must not be enough drama.... LOL maybe I should change the title!

AllieMad
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:04 PM

My son got his first set of vaccines last week at 4 months.  He did run a fever off and on for 2 days after getting them.  He is EBF.

I did read a very interesting article once about how fever after vaccinations may be a *good* thing.  Something about the body building up the antibodies to help the vaccinations work better.  I don't treat with Tylenol unless they seem to be pretty uncomfortable.  Three kids, and I have never medicated after vaccinations.

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

AmiJanell
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:10 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)