Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WOW didnt realize it was that much

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:12 PM
  • 11 Replies

by Kelly Moser

Politicians Pay

The President of the United States of America currently is paid $400,000 a year with $ 50,000 available for expenses. In 2006, a United States Senator was paid $ 165,200 while those individuals with leadership positions were paid $ 180,100. The Federal Judiciary begins its' judges at $165,200 and Supreme Court Justices makes $203,000 a year. These numbers do not include insurance or any retirement benefits that are included in the total compensation package.

The best average family income I could find for an American family is $70,000. This appears pretty good until you realize this number includes all income made by any family member over the age of 15 living in the family home. This number is also an average of American incomes. That means the income of the Wall Street broker who receives a multi million dollar bonus on top of his six (or seven) figure salary is averaged with the family income of those on public assistance. The median income for the American family, the income that shows up most frequently, is $43,389.

The President individually, is paid 10 times the income of the median American family. A U.S. Supreme Court Justice is paid 5 times the income of the median American family. Since the governmental and corporate leaders of our country feel the American family can live on $43,389 a year, I think the public servants of our country can individually live on 5 to 10 times that amount.

I didn't realize that politicians made that much It just caught me off gaurd

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Yes, and the movie stars and musicians make millions. BUT our Military, Fire Fighters, Police, etc. that put theirs lives at risk to keep us safe, do not come close to making any of that.

mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I know right

Quoting lanceandhailey:

Yes, and the movie stars and musicians make millions. BUT our Military, Fire Fighters, Police, etc. that put theirs lives at risk to keep us safe, do not come close to making any of that.

mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:18 PM

mrs.c123
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:19 PM

yeah, ive seen a breakdown like this before, but its still always ridiculous the amount. right now we average about 47,000 a year just with dh working and getting his VA benefits. once im done with school we will definitely be making more than that- thank god lol thanks for posting :)

mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Just thought its informative

Quoting mrs.c123:

yeah, ive seen a breakdown like this before, but its still always ridiculous the amount. right now we average about 47,000 a year just with dh working and getting his VA benefits. once im done with school we will definitely be making more than that- thank god lol thanks for posting :)

EmmyCora
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Quoting lanceandhailey:

Yep. And how about the poor teachers who taught the politicians how to read or the teacher who taught the actor how  to act.   THAT is terribly shitty.  The wealth in the country is poorly distributed.

judybant
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I am astonished that the President ONLY makes that much. A mediocre football player makes more money annually than the "leader of the free world" does. That's screwed up, in my opinion. I also think the President, and the congress, etc... should be paid on a "satisfaction" scale. If the people of the country are happy with the way things are going, they get paid more. When they start doing stupid stuff like spending millions on a bridge to nothing in Alaska, while children are starving in this country, then their pay goes down. I think that would get more people to actually VOTE, and I think it would make our government more accountable.

lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Quoting EmmyCora:

Quoting lanceandhailey:

Yep. And how about the poor teachers who taught the politicians how to read or the teacher who taught the actor how  to act.   THAT is terribly shitty.  The wealth in the country is poorly distributed.

Yep them too! I forgot to mention the athletes that also make millions!

mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Its insane isnt it

Quoting judybant:

I am astonished that the President ONLY makes that much. A mediocre football player makes more money annually than the "leader of the free world" does. That's screwed up, in my opinion. I also think the President, and the congress, etc... should be paid on a "satisfaction" scale. If the people of the country are happy with the way things are going, they get paid more. When they start doing stupid stuff like spending millions on a bridge to nothing in Alaska, while children are starving in this country, then their pay goes down. I think that would get more people to actually VOTE, and I think it would make our government more accountable.

mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Dont forget about  people like the trumps and hiltons do any of them pay anything to charities?

Quoting lanceandhailey:

Quoting EmmyCora:

Quoting lanceandhailey:

Yep them too! I forgot to mention the athletes that also make millions!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)