Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daycare moms?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:36 PM
  • 13 Replies

What do you have to do to start an in home daycare? Do you have to go to school? Do you have to own your home?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cadeesmommy0120
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:37 PM

bump

Lilcountrygrl86
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:39 PM

It may depend on what state you live in but my fiance's mom was going to open one. She had to take a child development class and CPR class. I think she also needed to get a couple booster shots and a license but she said it was really easy.

kanatamom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I live in Canada so are rules are diffrent then from the states.  Anyone can have a daycare here in Ontario.  We have some rules we can only have 5  children that can be in your home at one time that are daycare kids. 

MIA0223
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Ok, thanks. I am planning on reading up on it later. I want to start something like this, I have been thinking about if for a while :)

Quoting Lilcountrygrl86:

It may depend on what state you live in but my fiance's mom was going to open one. She had to take a child development class and CPR class. I think she also needed to get a couple booster shots and a license but she said it was really easy.

Ladybug8412
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:44 PM

BUMP!

Hisservent
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:46 PM

depends on the state and how many children you want. In VA each child is worth so many points, and your own children do count in the points until they are 8. You can have 16 points by yourself, any more than that you have to have a license and an assistant.  you can get a license with less children but it's not required.

It also depends on what you want to do and how much you want to charge. I wouldn't recommend charging what a commercial daycare charges unless you are licensed or have a degree in early childhood development or early childhood education and unless you plan on teaching the children with a curriculum.

I helped a friend out with her inhome daycare. Each child had their own notebook that held immunization records, signed contracts and anything important pertaining to the child. She is not licensed but runs her home as if it were. The house is set up into centers where the children play and she uses a curriculum. You don't have to use a curriculum, but it's best if you do something with the kids rather than just letting them play all day or watch tv all day. The more you do with them and the more you treat it as a licensed center, the more you can charge.

I am crucified with Christ, therefore I no longer live. Jesus Christ now lives in me! I am a 100% pro-life, wife,  Christian, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, breastfeedin, CIO method usin,  schedule stickin to, as Green as I can get, SAHM of 2.

Lilcountrygrl86
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Reqirements to opening a home daycare by state

http://www.powerhomebiz.com/vol40/daycare-state-licensing.htm

dbldogdare
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I had to go to a class provided by the county and no you shouldn't have to own your own home but I think there may be a couple of extra steps involved if you don't. Check out your counties web site.

ETA maybe your states web site.

Hisservent
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM

oh yea, being cpr and first aid certified is probably recommended. I had to be in order to help my friend out.

Quoting MIA0223:

Ok, thanks. I am planning on reading up on it later. I want to start something like this, I have been thinking about if for a while :)

Quoting Lilcountrygrl86:

I am crucified with Christ, therefore I no longer live. Jesus Christ now lives in me! I am a 100% pro-life, wife,  Christian, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, breastfeedin, CIO method usin,  schedule stickin to, as Green as I can get, SAHM of 2.

Lilcountrygrl86
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)