Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't believe you make your kid do that!!! :O

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:49 PM
  • 23 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think it is wrong for elementary aged kids to commit 20+ hours per week to one sport or other activity?

Options:

Yes, it is too much and they should just be kids!

No, the structure and committment is good for them.

It's fine, as long as the child chooses to be involved and likes what s/he is doing

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 77

View Results

Do you think it is wrong for an elementary school aged child to be involved in a sport/activity which requires a large time committment? (15-20+ hours/wk) 

For example: a 7-yr-old who practices football every day after school and has games all day Saturday, a 9-yr-old who practices gymnastics 4-5 days per week and travels for competitions...

Is it too much for a 5-11 yr old child?  Does it depend on the kid?  What do you think?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
echoishername
by Misty on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:50 PM

If the kid WANTS to be doing it, then fine. As long as schoolwork is up to par as well.

nmjordan
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Quoting echoishername:

If the kid WANTS to be doing it, then fine. As long as schoolwork is up to par as well.

I totally agree.

~ Nicole ~
Mom to Brandon, 6-25-06
Proud Navy Wife to Mike

Mami2Jahzi
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Quoting echoishername:

CafeMom Tickers

Hi, I'm Yvonne. Loving Wifey of Josué, Mami to Jahziel (2). I'm a full time working mommy, who also goes to school. Nothing in my life come before my son and DF. I was a formula feeding, disposiable diapering, Vaxing, Non-Circ, CIO, FF @ 1yr & 20lb momma and will do all the same with my next. I don't really care what people think about me because I don't know you. I'm on cafemom for fun not to bash, argue, or be someone I'm not.

So I hope to see you around the website! Have an Awesome Day!

"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." - Abraham Lincoln

manamott
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Yep, this. Only if the child is enjoying it and everything else is in order. The child should never be forced.

Quoting echoishername:

LizzyPookey1248
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:53 PM
i cant vote bc im on mobile but i think as long as the child wants to do it then they should be able to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chaotic_Rayne
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I put that its too much and they should just be able to be a kid, BUT, if they like it, sure, they should be able to play and practice as much as they want, but I think there should be a limit.... Homework should come first and they should be able to have a life besides just sports.

southern_momof2
Yes I believe its too much. My son is allowed one activity a time. He is 6.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Je_Jette_Poo

But the thing about "They should just be kids" is that a lot of kids actually LIKE playing sports and enjoy it as an everyday activity. 

Phenomemom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I'm going with majority here.

If they like it, go for it.

mybabyapples
by Purple People Eater on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:56 PM
Unless its something they ask and want to be doing and enjoy it, I wpuld think its crazy. Where's their down time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)