• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Son is stealing!!!!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:54 PM
  • 15 Replies

I don't know why he is doing it! He gets plenty of food...3 meals a day plus snacks. He NEVER goes hungry!!! He is taking food from the pantry and hiding it in his room. He is also taking other RANDOM things and hiding them in his room....like forks, spoons, knives, other kitchen utensils, keys, 1 shoe of a pair. plus a bunch of other random things. 

I have explained what stealing is (taking something that doesn't belong to you w/ out permission) and that stealing is bad. He says he is sorry and he will "never never ever do it again" and then he does it again.  I have made him stand in the corner, took his toys, took tv time away ...ect. 

I don't know how to get him to stop!!! Anyone have experience w/ this? How do I make him stop?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaeHamMomma
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:56 PM

How old is he?

LovinMy2Girlz
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Have you asked him why he's doing this?

Ladybug8412
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:58 PM

BUMP!

tginn20
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:03 PM

He will be 4 on Oct 9th

Quoting MaeHamMomma:

How old is he?

wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:04 PM

That is not normal stealing behavior, any major changes in his life?  Marriage, divorce, new baby?

Something is bothering him and he probably can't help himself.

tginn20
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:04 PM

all he says is "because" I have tried to tell him "because" isn't an answer then when I ask him why he is doing it again, he says "then you tell me" It is VERY frustrating!!! 

Quoting LovinMy2Girlz:

Have you asked him why he's doing this?

tginn20
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:06 PM

The "new baby" will be 1 in Nov. He hasn't had any issues adjusting to Alysabeth being here. This just started a few weeks ago.....

Quoting wifeofvet:

That is not normal stealing behavior, any major changes in his life?  Marriage, divorce, new baby?

wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Quoting tginn20:

The "new baby" will be 1 in Nov. He hasn't had any issues adjusting to Alysabeth being here. This just started a few weeks ago.....

Quoting wifeofvet:

Maybe there are some changes in his life that aren't a big deal to you or me, but maybe bothering him. 

Doodlesrevenge
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:12 PM

I am having a hard time thinking that a 4 year old steals from you.  Are  you sure that this isn't just wanting your attention?  OR that he wants to play with some of that stuff?  Stealing is pretty harsh.  I was thinking he took some gum from a store or something.  Shit.

tginn20
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:29 PM

We teach stealing as "taking something that does not belong to you without asking permission" you might teach it as something different. He IS taking things that do not belong to him...kitchen utensils, shoes, keys and the other day he took money from the counter too. I ask him where he got these things and he says "I took them" He knows he is doing something wrong...but he won't stop.

Quoting Doodlesrevenge:

I am having a hard time thinking that a 4 year old steals from you.  Are  you sure that this isn't just wanting your attention?  OR that he wants to play with some of that stuff?  Stealing is pretty harsh.  I was thinking he took some gum from a store or something.  Shit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)