Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The comment that I just left on the FDA notice about the genetically modified salmon labeling.

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:17 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am extremely concerned about how compromised our food has become for the sake of greed. Autism, cancer, diabetes, and allergies are rampant and I honestly feel that it is due to the fact that our food is being altered and contaminated. I want to feed my children natural food. I want ALL products that have been genetically modified labeled as such. I do not believe it is healthy. It is a risk to people with allergies. I even believe that produce in the supermarket should be labeled as genetically modified if it is. It is unfortunate that all of the garbage is allowed in our food. It is even more unfortunate how many people feel that if it is on the shelf in the supermarket, it must be safe. I do hope that the FDA will give us as individuals the opportunity to decide for ourselves what we put into our bodies. If we are not going to be protected, please don’t take away our right to protect ourselves. Label this “salmon” as genetically modified and all other genetically modified foods. Thank you

If you want to comment on the notice, go here.

For those that don't know what it is about, in a nutshell, the company that is selling this genetically modified salmon does not want to label it as genetically modified for fear that people won't buy it. I say, if we don't want to have our food screwed around with, we have the right to know if it has been.

Here is an article about the salmon

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jynnifer292
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:06 PM

BUMP!

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:56 PM

BUMP!

eema.gray
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Look at what happened with Monsanto and "BT potatoes" (they were sold as New Leaf potatoes).  They were potatoes that had been spliced with genes from a bacteria that repels potato beetles.  When the public found out about these potatoes, there was such a storm of disapproval that Monstanto pulled the potatoes.  They haven't been sold or grown in a decade and Monsanto no longer offers them for sale.

Thanks for providing the link, I'll be writing to them as well.  I doubt we'll be able to over ride the corporate interests who want to push their lack of labeling through but every voice counts anyway.

Jynnifer292
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Quoting eema.gray:

Look at what happened with Monsanto and "BT potatoes" (they were sold as New Leaf potatoes).  They were potatoes that had been spliced with genes from a bacteria that repels potato beetles.  When the public found out about these potatoes, there was such a storm of disapproval that Monstanto pulled the potatoes.  They haven't been sold or grown in a decade and Monsanto no longer offers them for sale.

Thanks for providing the link, I'll be writing to them as well.  I doubt we'll be able to over ride the corporate interests who want to push their lack of labeling through but every voice counts anyway.

Our government has made it pretty clear that money talks. I wish that more people would understand how scary it is what they are doing to our food.

Jynnifer292
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:03 AM

BUMP!

Ashmom614
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:04 AM

it IS indeed scary. It pisses me off. I wish more could be done!

Jynnifer292
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Quoting Ashmom614:

it IS indeed scary. It pisses me off. I wish more could be done!

If people would just stop buying from companies that use genetically modified ingredients, it would help. Money is what matters to them. Other countries won't buy the crap so companies make higher quality products to sell them. For instance, we continue to consume artificial sweetener despite the fact that it is not good for you, no matter how much it is denied. Japan doesn't use it, they use stevia, a natural sweetener with no known side effects. The FDA actually banned it's use here until recently. You can buy it in packets. Coca Cola uses stevia to sweeten it's Diet Coke in Japan.

Companies don't want the loss of profit by increasing quality and US consumers want cheap.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)