• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I be worried about my son? (adhd) Advice please

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:31 PM
  • 13 Replies

Reading these posts got me wondering about my son's behavior. My ds is 5 he is in Kinder. He has been in school for over a month. I have not had any issues at all from him. Just one time for throwing items on the table but it hasn't happened since after I talked to him about it. I have no complaints from the teacher or any notes.

My ds is very active at home though. He gets home from school and refuses to do homework. It takes a lot for him to sit. So I 've posted about having a hard time with homework before and got some great advice. Now I know that he's tired from having to do this in school during the day so I give him some time to relax. We did home work great yesterday. I have problems with him listening to me at home. I can tell him over and over again and he won't listen to me. Should I be worried this might be ADHD? Is this just me putting things in my head? Is this normal behavior? Should I only start worrying if  the teacher is having problems with him in school? My dh leaves to work out of state so he's gone for days/weeks at a time. Could this also be why I have a hard time with him? Anyone give me advice?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ErikaM27
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:32 PM

BUMP!

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I'm not sure, but if it was ADHD I'm pretty positive he would be having issues at school too.

KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:34 PM

BUMP

ErikaM27
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:36 PM

BUMP!

SarahFire82
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:38 PM

sounds pretty normal for his age. My son is also 5 and just started K and I have a hard time getting him to sit and do homework which he has almost every night. Its getting a little easier though. I don't think you need to worry too much about your son.

BabyFruit Ticker

ECMOM970
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:38 PM

He does not have ADHD...he is doing fine in school and the reason he doesnt want to do homework is because he was in school all day and wants to play when he gets home...homework for kids that young is DUMB...my dd has about 20 minutes of homework a night and she is in 1st grade...it is awful - we do not always get it done because they need to be kids!

ErikaM27
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Quoting SarahFire82:

sounds pretty normal for his age. My son is also 5 and just started K and I have a hard time getting him to sit and do homework which he has almost every night. Its getting a little easier though. I don't think you need to worry too much about your son.

ok thanks..

soyliciousar
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:39 PM

If it was ADHD you would probably hear about it from school. However don't hold me to that. My 5yr old DS has autism and was diagnosed with ADHD and psychologist advised me to put him on meds over a yr ago. I have not done so and he has had no issues at school. I can handle him at home and if he is fine in school I do not plan on medicating him. With your DS it could be just all the bottled up energy left over from being in school all day. My 7yr old is the same way your DS is and I had him tested and he doesn't have it. I know how you feel. With your DH gone it might be why he is acting like that. I noticed with my DH working major overtime last wk that my kids started acting up because they missed him. Keep in mind everything I have told you is from my experience and just my opinion. If you feel like he has ADHD it wouldn't hurt getting him tested or talking to the dr about it.

Hope u a great day.

Ash

ErikaM27
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Quoting ECMOM970:

He does not have ADHD...he is doing fine in school and the reason he doesnt want to do homework is because he was in school all day and wants to play when he gets home...homework for kids that young is DUMB...my dd has about 20 minutes of homework a night and she is in 1st grade...it is awful - we do not always get it done because they need to be kids!

Yea he gets a folder that's due on Friday with homework. There are days that I just give up. Yesterday he did great. He did what he wanted and I left later this week. 

ErikaM27
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Quoting soyliciousar:

If it was ADHD you would probably hear about it from school. However don't hold me to that. My 5yr old DS has autism and was diagnosed with ADHD and psychologist advised me to put him on meds over a yr ago. I have not done so and he has had no issues at school. I can handle him at home and if he is fine in school I do not plan on medicating him. With your DS it could be just all the bottled up energy left over from being in school all day. My 7yr old is the same way your DS is and I had him tested and he doesn't have it. I know how you feel. With your DH gone it might be why he is acting like that. I noticed with my DH working major overtime last wk that my kids started acting up because they missed him. Keep in mind everything I have told you is from my experience and just my opinion. If you feel like he has ADHD it wouldn't hurt getting him tested or talking to the dr about it.

Hope u a great day.

Ash

Yea you're right if I feel like it's becoming an issue I'm going to talk to the dr about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)