Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sports and the Heat...{piog}

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:43 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi Mommas!

Could I get your input on something please?

When you have your kids in sports, is it ever 'too hot' to practice?

I ask because we are nearing 100 degrees today, and dd has practice this afternoon for about two hours. The field IS in the direct sun, and I know kids are tough, but I truly wonder.

Is it unwise to have the kids practice once the heat reaches a certain level?

What do you ladies think?

THANKS!!!

(dd is 9 btw)

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ECMOM970
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:45 PM

They just need to take frequent breaks and drink LOTS of water! My son has had baseball practice in the summer and it is HOT but he drinks a lot of water and is fine!

Radarma
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Quoting ECMOM970:

They just need to take frequent breaks and drink LOTS of water! My son has had baseball practice in the summer and it is HOT but he drinks a lot of water and is fine!

Thanks, I am thinking of taking a squirt bottle too. I can spray her and the other girls. lol Poor things are going to be hatin' it!

hockeymomsue64
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:53 PM

That is a little hot but I think if she drinks plenty of water she should be fine. We haven't seen 100 degrees here in so long it's only in the 50's here today.

Radarma
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Quoting hockeymomsue64:

That is a little hot but I think if she drinks plenty of water she should be fine. We haven't seen 100 degrees here in so long it's only in the 50's here today.

Thanks...this is one of those weird parenting things where I swear, if she passes out or gets heatstroke I am gonna kick myself from here to jupiter.

gulfcoastmom4
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I think we coddle kids way too much now a days. Mine would go unless it was canceled.

Radarma
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Quoting gulfcoastmom4:

I think we coddle kids way too much now a days. Mine would go unless it was canceled.

That is what I want to hear too....I don't want to be the coddler!!! LOL

Striking a balance is sometimes tricky.

Thx

KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:06 PM

As long as they stop to drink water they should be fine.

mawfia
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I am not a coddler, but I think 100 in the full index afternoon heat is too hot.....

hockeymomsue64
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting hockeymomsue64:

Thanks...this is one of those weird parenting things where I swear, if she passes out or gets heatstroke I am gonna kick myself from here to jupiter.

No problem. My boys are hockey players so we don't have to deal with that, good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)