• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Placenta Problems in Future Pregnancy

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:54 PM
  • 6 Replies

I came across this video this past week after Jill from the website The Unnecesarean posted it on her facebook page.  Of course I have heard about placenta accreta, but the more I discussed this with my circle on twitter, facebook, an in real life, some of the mothers I know were unaware of the risk that placenta accreta, and possibly placenta percreta pose to future pregnancies.

But what exactly is placenta accreta and percreta, and why is it such a problem? Both are life threatening to the mother, and carry serious risks including hysterectomy, and death if not handled properly. In the above news article, it discusses 40 women who died as a result in New Jersey alone last year from these type of complications.

Placenta accreta is when the placenta grows too deeply into the uterine wall and even sometimes through the uterine wall causing more extensive damage. In the cases of these placental problems a repeat cesarean section is the only method of safe delivery, because of the surgical process that will be needed to remove the placenta. These are the problems that can happen, and are listed in the possible risks of a cesarean delivery under “future placental problems”.

According to ACOG, the risk goes up with each c-section:

# of c-sections          % accreta

1                                   0.3

2                                   0.6

3                                   2.1

4                                   2.3

5 or more                     6.7

Certainly some food for thought in mothers who have one or more previous cesarean births when deciding the size of their family.

I cant get the video onto cafemom but if you want to view it... it is live here ... http://momotics.com/placenta-accreta-a-real-threat-in-multiple-cesareans/

Cloth Diapering, Selective Vaccinating, Breastfeeding Advocate who Formula Fed, Work at Home Mom, Professional Blogger, Social Media Director, Childbirth Educator, Doula, Mother to Camden, and Benjamin.
Expecting Baby #3 in May of 2011!

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MzSeXyC
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM

BUMP!

NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Thanks for the info. 

Jaye677
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:27 PM
I had to have a partial hysterectomy immediately following the birth of my 3rd DD due to placenta acreta.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddhb2007
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:28 PM
I had placenta accreta as a first time mom. It is a very terrifying complication to have. Anyhow, I think women should know that while it is more common to occur if you have had uterine surgery of any kind you can also have it without that risk factor.
CTRedSoxMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:36 PM

hugs

Quoting Jaye677:

I had to have a partial hysterectomy immediately following the birth of my 3rd DD due to placenta acreta.

Cloth Diapering, Selective Vaccinating, Breastfeeding Advocate who Formula Fed, Work at Home Mom, Professional Blogger, Social Media Director, Childbirth Educator, Doula, Mother to Camden, and Benjamin.
Expecting Baby #3 in May of 2011!

amanda_norris60
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:58 PM

wow! i really have never heard too much on this! makes me wonder! i am due for my 5th c-section and 6th surgery in the same spot and now just fond out i have placenta previa for the first time! im so scared! and now i have even more ?'s for my doctor on the 12th!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)