Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when your parents

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM
  • 10 Replies

here is  topic i don't think i have seen on here before but a commercial just got me thinking about it. When your parents have entered their twilight years where will they go? will they come live with you or will the go to a retirement home? Does their insurance pay for one or will you have to pay for it all out of pocket?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Sadly, my dad died when he was 47.  So, no twilight years for him.  :(

My mom is 67 and I imagine that one day she'll live with us.  She already has a hard time getting around.  I worry about her.  I would NEVER ever ever ever want her to be in a nursing/retirement home.

alberns303
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM

We will be one big happy family living together!!!!

I would never put my parents in a home....ever.

MikeysMom51108
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:52 PM

My parents will come live with me if it ever becomes necessary. My door is also open to my husband's parents if it ever becomes necessary. I wouldn't put any of them in a nursing home.

By the time any of them may need the care, I'll be at least an LPN and hopefully an RN, so I'll be more than qualified to take care of them.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

katie1204
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:53 PM

id have to ask them what their wishes are. they would be welcome to live with me. but i know my mom wants to be "free" as long as possible, so maybe an assisted living community.

gypsy_rose
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:53 PM

they will stay in THEIR home just like they asked

prego7386
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:54 PM

i have been to some retirement communities that were nice and some that were gross. my husband and i have insurance payments for ours when we are older BUT i have his parents who are in their mid 60's now to think about, my mom-44, step dad-43, dad-45, step mom-46....so its a loooong way off but i will have all four of them reach this point in life at the same time...i have no idea what to do. maybe just build an extra guest house on his parents property and make it into a family commune where everyone throws in ss together??....hmm

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

Sadly, my dad died when he was 47.  So, no twilight years for him.  :(

My mom is 67 and I imagine that one day she'll live with us.  She already has a hard time getting around.  I worry about her.  I would NEVER ever ever ever want her to be in a nursing/retirement home.

TygerLily62
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:54 PM

My parents have paid into an insurance policy that will guarantee that they're able to stay at home and have private care unless they're in such bad condition that they need to be in the hospital. My gramma was with us before she passed away and it was so hard on my mom that she promised herself that she would never put her kids through that.

prego7386
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:55 PM

so then will you have a home nurse come in everyday? how will the medications and other things be handled?

Quoting gypsy_rose:

they will stay in THEIR home just like they asked

Mandymb
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:00 PM

They will go to a assisted living home. They have put money away for it. They are in there late 60's now.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:10 PM

I have no idea where they will go.  Mom will most likely go to one of my brothers places. Dad who knows if anywhere.  Grandparents are well into their 80s and they dont live with anyone for help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)