Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So lets have a healthy Debate. Choose a topic that I have listed and share your views on it.

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:17 PM
  • 36 Replies

I am going to list several topics in this post. Choose a topic and share your views on it. You are all welcome to debate with each other, but please no bashing. Keep it civil, and kind. We are all allowed to have our opinions, and we need to be respectful. So here we go.

1. Do Schools have the right to search students lockers? why or why not?

2. Should children be given Sex education in school or should it be the responsibility of the parents, or BOTH?

3. Should negative advertising in political campaigns be banned? why or why not?

4. Should governments censor material on the world wide web?

5.Should the  government censor lyrics in songs that are violent or expletitive?

6. Should we ban the keeping of animals in circuses?

7. Should continued office for public officials be dependant on successfully taking a drug test?

8. Should prostitution be legalized only under the agreement that if STD positive your client must be informed?

I chose to debate number 6. I do not like to see animals used in a form of amusing human beings. They are animals with a living beating heart, and were not meant to jump through hoops, or have human beings train them with harmful objects. Here is an example of what i was trying to say

Performances

The animals in circuses are there purely for entertainment, and the routines have changed little since the nineteenth century. In circuses, the audience can still see beautiful majestic animals like elephants ridiculed by their trainers, or big cats reduced to cowardly looking creatures by the cracking whip of the 'powerful' lion tamer.

Some circuses claim to be educational but there is no educational value in seeing such magnificent animals reduced to performing tricks. The idea of publicly humiliating an animal to prove that 'Man' is capable of this kind of dominance is not fun. Children should be taught to respect animals - circuses teach the opposite.

Circuses also claim to be involved in conservation, yet no animals from circuses have ever been released to the wild. Far from the suggested aim of conservation, most circus elephants have been taken from the wild. African elephants calves are the product of culls (mass slaughters of elephant families) - the circus often says that they have saved them, giving the impression that their workers ran around dodging bullets to rescue them, when in fact they have merely paid a dealer. This buying of cull orphans often makes money for those involved in this slaughter.

http://www.captiveanimals.org/circuses/circus.htm

Photobucket

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angel424
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:21 PM

#2.- It is the responsibility of the parent, but some students dont have responsible parents at home. some of them dont care, so yes I believe that the schools should inform them

Autumnmom24
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I agree with this 100%

Quoting angel424:

#2.- It is the responsibility of the parent, but some students dont have responsible parents at home. some of them dont care, so yes I believe that the schools should inform them

Photobucket

chiquis
by Diamond Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:23 PM

#1 Yes imo with all the crazy stuff that happens at schools lately

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:23 PM

#1 I think they absolutely have the right. If your kid brings something bad to school, and they get caught, they need to face the reprocussions for bringing it to school.

abbysmommy429
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:25 PM

#1- Of course schools have the right to search lockers at school. They are on school property and schools should do a monthly search with dogs.

4 and 5- No to censorship in anyway by the government.

Autumnmom24
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:25 PM

BUMP!

ErikaM27
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM

2. Should children be given Sex education in school or should it be the responsibility of the parents, or BOTH?

I think it's the parents responsibility to educate their kids about sex. It's great the schools be a part of it but not entirely responsible of it all.

abbysmommy429
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:27 PM

BUMP!

Autumnmom24
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:30 PM

BUMP!

jmart18255
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:30 PM

#1- yes schools have the absolute right to search students lockers because it is the schools responsibility to make school as safe as they can for other students and by performing locker searches they weed out the students who think they are beyond the rules set by the school for contraband and as far as i am concerned locker searches are not going against privacy laws because said locker is technically not the students property and belongs to the school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)