Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Angry at our local Ambulance Company and Koshairs Hospital!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:32 PM
  • 6 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think its crazy what they charge for medical and Ambulance Services!

Options:

Yes

No

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 12

View Results

I am so mad I feel like these companies are taking advantage of people and they can get by with it!

First off my son broke his arm (sept 5th) they charged over $7,500 + dollars for that visit , well they sent him home the next day (Sept 6th)  There was a lot of miscommunication  going on at this hospital first it was they were going to keep him  then next thing was told we were going home, so make the long story short they sent him home , Even with a infant sling if that tells you anything my son will be 10 in Dec , so we get him home and he is in a lot of pain , so we get him to his new doctors on Wednesday (Sept 8th) he was in a whole lot of pain well The new Doc said that he shouldn't be in this much pain so back to the Koshairs Hospital we go , long story short again , they messed up his cast in the first place and the Dr who had to redue it was the one who messed it up in the first place , they let my son lay there for 4 hours in pain and all they gave him was tylenol, so they had to redue his cast and finally got him where he needed to be and the new pain medication worked better this time , 

They ended up charging almost 3,000+ for that bill even though the Dr said they messed up his cast in the first place! 

I feel like they are taking advantage of people!

Another case

I ended  up collapsing and im pregnant and was started to have alot of contractions

and my DH was out of town so I had to call an ambulance (our local one)

Also the ambulance company is charging almost  $980.00

which that trip was the most horrible ever they dropped me 5 times  trying to get me into the ambulance they lady I don't think was strong enough to be lifting on anyone!

The man finally yelled at her saying come on Heather I do remember that , then the man started sticking me  trying to get an IV in me going down the highway  and the trip was very bumpy , I told the man before he tried to do it , that I was a hard stick and he was just persistant and stuck me three times with no luck what so ever , then he pricks my finger to draw blood , I think these people were nuts , i'm in a lot of pain this trip was hell then we get to the hospital and she is hitting every speed bump possible and the man says come on heather what are you trying to do and she said , I didn't see it!

I know this hospital is only 32 miles from my home and 45 min to get there , I called the ambulance people today when I got the bill yesterday they were closed so I had to call today she said they clocked the hospital being 55 miles from my house and I know that is not true because I been going to this hospital for years! 

they charged over 540.00 alone for just driving me there she said it was like over $10.00 a mile

I just feel like they are taking advantage of people!

I also explained to the lady the ordeal I went through she didn't seem to really care but said she would pass it on to a Dr so I don't know!

I see why people sue now lol j/k!

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kymomma1974
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:35 PM
Hhhmm? ive had to utilize Kosiars many times and im just thankful we even have a childrens hospital in town. so many dont. as far as the cost of ambulances...i dont get bent out of shape about that. if i need one id rather have to pay their prices....than not have one at all. i get your frustrations but ive just learned to not let some of the things even bother me.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pause_25
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Quoting kymomma1974:

Hhhmm? ive had to utilize Kosiars many times and im just thankful we even have a childrens hospital in town. so many dont. as far as the cost of ambulances...i dont get bent out of shape about that. if i need one id rather have to pay their prices....than not have one at all. i get your frustrations but ive just learned to not let some of the things even bother me.....

I think im more frustraited that they dropped me 5 times and me being the pain I was in and pregnant was not a good  mix!

I also think im more upset that they didn't do my sons arm in the first place and let him suffer!

TygerLily62
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Medical care is expensive. My dd had to be care-flighted, and taken in an ambulance to the hospital, and I'm so glad that I have insurance. But the way that I think about it is that maybe the amount that you have to pay was more than the cost of everthing that they did for your treatment, but you have to think about the training that people go through, and the upkeep on the vehicles so they can get you from point a to point b, and all of the research that goes into the treatment that they do give you etc. I'm sorry that you had bad experiances, but overall I don't bash the people that have devoted their lives to helping others.

kymomma1974
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:33 PM
I understand...the one thing i have learned with kosairs is you have to be very diligent (sp) when there. they will get busy and take their own sweet time if they dont consider your child an immediate trauma ext. i hope you get everything worked out momma!

Quoting pause_25:

Quoting kymomma1974:

I think im more frustraited that they dropped me 5 times and me being the pain I was in and pregnant was not a good  mix!

I also think im more upset that they didn't do my sons arm in the first place and let him suffer!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamiJaAyla
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:37 PM

what they charge -- yes (sorry I read that they charged and clicked no).

Actually they charge INSURANCE companies less than a 1/3 of what they charge private folk (My mom's last hos. stay was about 200 K on paper but they charged the ins. co 20 k -- she paid her deductible)

that was ridiculous... like she said if I could afford 200k -- I could afford insurance.  They should have the same price REGARDLESS of wether is self-pay or ins.  that "differential" is ridiculous.

PestPatti
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Quoting MamiJaAyla:

what they charge -- yes (sorry I read that they charged and clicked no).

Actually they charge INSURANCE companies less than a 1/3 of what they charge private folk (My mom's last hos. stay was about 200 K on paper but they charged the ins. co 20 k -- she paid her deductible)

that was ridiculous... like she said if I could afford 200k -- I could afford insurance.  They should have the same price REGARDLESS of wether is self-pay or ins.  that "differential" is ridiculous.

Not sure where  you live, but usually self pay patients are given a discount on services...       And I have been a Medical biller for YEARS..  And never have I charged MORE to the patient than to INSURANCE...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)