• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O...if you need it and you're eligible...

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:36 PM
  • 29 Replies

In a response to another post, I said that my family gets medical assistance because the insurance that my job offers is complete crap.  They don't cover female exams, well-child exams, regular check-ups, physicals, etc.  Basically, they only cover illness and injury.  Because of my income and family size, I am eligible for medical assistance.  A woman responded that I should just use the work insurance and not depend on the state.  My question is, if I need it and I'm eligible, why shouldn't I use the state insurance?  It's not like we're defrauding the system...it's a legitimate need that is legitimately covered.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
indymom72
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I think you need to do what is right for your family..period.  I also believe that prevention is the best medicine..female exams and well baby check ups are part of that.  That's what it's there for, and you should use it!! :)

CjEmmemommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Having insurance that doesn't cover preventive maintenance  is the stupidest thing I have ever heard!!!!

in love7/8/04   toddler boyCj 6/11/06  toddler girlEmme 7/12/08

Lilypie - (tzu5)

CallieLynsMommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:41 PM
If you qualify, I see nothing wrong. I'm the opposite, I qualify for Medicaid but do not use it. Medicaid doesn't cover a lot of my prescriptions and fought to even cover the remainder of my chemo bills, so there was no way I was giving up my Cigna through COBRA, even though its super expensive. I hope your family doesn't run into trouble with it, good luck hun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojolicious220

I would use it. Your baby(ies) shouldn't have to go without their checkups and you shouldn't have to go without your exams. You have to do what you have to do to stay healthy. :)

zianneaaliyah

Like you said, you aren't defrauding anything.  If I had to make a choice for my family to receive better healthcare, then I would do what I have to.  Let her choose a sub par health insurance company because of her pride and see where it would get her and her family. 

mamaoftwins9197
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:43 PM

I'm sorry to hear that.  Pre-existing conditions make things so much worse.  Have you looked into a cancer plan through Aflack or anothe rsimilar company?  I'm not sure if they are retroactive, but they do cover most of those expenses...chemo, radiation, meds, etc.

Quoting CallieLynsMommy:

If you qualify, I see nothing wrong. I'm the opposite, I qualify for Medicaid but do not use it. Medicaid doesn't cover a lot of my prescriptions and fought to even cover the remainder of my chemo bills, so there was no way I was giving up my Cigna through COBRA, even though its super expensive. I hope your family doesn't run into trouble with it, good luck hun!

azpreemiemom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I think you should use it. My daughter gets state insurance because of her medical issues. We don't financially qualify for it, but she gets it based on need. Our insurance covers 80%. Her medical covers the rest.

TygerLily62
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I think you should use it. That's what it's there for.

.thickie.thick.
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Sounds like the insurance at my old job -- SUCKED! i turned it down of course. I took the insurance at the assistance office , still had co-pays , still had to pay a price for meds ... just a lil cheaper.

i agree w/ the 1st poster , do what you NEED to do for your family hon.

sweet.lil.mama
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM

if you are eligible then use it, as long as your not lying about your income and stuff i don't see the big deal...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)