Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when can someone claim the title Step mom?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:43 PM
  • 33 Replies

Poll

Question: when can someone claim the title Step mom?

Options:

as soon as boy meets girl

only after marrige

after 0-6 months of living together

6months - 1 years living together

2+ years living together

if the woman has been raising the children for 0-6 months

raising the children 6 months to a year

only after raising them longer then a year

after th engagment

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 79

View Results

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prego7386
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM

speaking as someone who has two sets of step parents and has had them since i was 2 i will say i would not call any of my parents partners step mom or dad unless they were married...then they would just be my moms boyfriend or my dads girlfriend

CjEmmemommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I would say after marriage is what the title is intended for. It would be up to the children as to weather or not to call her that.

Erica

ColieO
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:46 PM
After marriage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet.lil.mama
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:47 PM

only if they are married....

mz_erica03
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:48 PM

We just had this discussion with SO's kids. We've been together for 2 years and getting married very soon. His kids who are 8 and 5 keep asking us when I'm going to be their stepmom and my boys be their stepbrothers. SO told them when we get married, so I say after marriage. Although, the kids kept calling me mom this weekend... lol.

beerebelly
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Quoting ColieO:

After marriage.

3xangel
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

I would say after marriage is what the title is intended for. It would be up to the children as to weather or not to call her that.

Erica

stefvan
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:49 PM

When she marries the dad.

MommyOnLI
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM

i will say other...

after marriage & raising them

my mother died when i was 19, my father got remarried when i was 29 (i had NOT lived in the house since i was more or less 17 years old)

she is NOT considered a step mother, she is my fathers wife.

ruejacobs
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:51 PM

i've helped raise DF's LO since she was one and half. she's six now. she went through a Cinderella Obsession when she was thre and used to scream out (loudly and in public,and with no provocation) "I don't want a Stepmother!". i'm glad she doesn't feel that way now...it used to hurt like crazy. we would be enjoying a nice afternoon at the waterpark and DF would look over at me and mention, "Oh, when we get married, we should do such-and-such for our honeymoon." and then she'd start screaming and stamping her tiny feet and evryone would stare at me, while i writhed in embarassment.

and oh, yeah, thanks walt disney for unneccessarily traumatizing the LO...she really did believe that once the ring was on my finger, i would sprout grey hair, and hand her a mop and a bucket!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)