Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms of teens or who are about to be teens!!!!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:28 PM
  • 18 Replies

How do you teach about sex? What is your approach to the subject with your child??

My approach is total honesty. My son will be 16 in a few weeks. He has been in two relationships so far, neither serious, but still.

He is currently dating a girl whose mom does not teach the way I do. Last night, while saying goodbye, they were caught kissing. ( she is about to turn 15) I view kissing as normal, especially when saying goodbye and when you are young, yes they can linger. well, her mom had a cow!

My son used to walk her DD home from school until today. When I talked to the mom, she informed me that she will pick her DD up from school here on out. I think this is unfair to both kids.

My son is embarressed for his behavior ( more of getting caught) and I am afraid that the "thing" with them will fizzle now. Not that I am worried he won't date again, he will, I'm sure but for the girl. I was her once, with a very demanding and overbearing mom and the first chance I got, I went wild!

I am honest and open with my boy. We talk about sex. He knows that he can come to me, his dad or his stepdad if he feels ready to take that step and let us guide him responsibly and accordingly.

So- I was just wondering how other women treat or will treat the dating years and subject of sex with their kids?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
samthecat001
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:29 PM

teaching about sex doesnt BEGIN with the teen years.  its about ALWAYS talking to them from get go in age appropriate ways about their body, how it works, the changes it goes through and what is appropriate and what isnt.

ajjs1972
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:30 PM

I agree! But it gets a little deeper and different once they are at the age like mine.

Quoting samthecat001:

teaching about sex doesnt BEGIN with the teen years.  its about ALWAYS talking to them from get go in age appropriate ways about their body, how it works, the changes it goes through and what is appropriate and what isnt.

samthecat001
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:30 PM

OH and for the record its MUCH different for the mothers of GIRLS than it is for the mothers of BOYS.  there is so much more to cover.  I have a teen daughter (she will be 18 soon) and all of my friends with older kids have BOYS - its TOTALLY different.

samthecat001
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:32 PM

you have to be always inching toward it... it doesnt suddenly get deep... if you continually talk about it then the transition into talking about their sexual health is not that dramatic.

Quoting ajjs1972:

I agree! But it gets a little deeper and different once they are at the age like mine.

Quoting samthecat001:

"Put the rake down. I don't wanna sit around watching you 'give it your best.' Either stop sucking or get the fuck out of the way."  Justins dad

ajjs1972
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I agree with this as well, but the teaching of being responsible is not different per say.

Quoting samthecat001:

OH and for the record its MUCH different for the mothers of GIRLS than it is for the mothers of BOYS.  there is so much more to cover.  I have a teen daughter (she will be 18 soon) and all of my friends with older kids have BOYS - its TOTALLY different.

samthecat001
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:33 PM

absolutely correct.  but for girls there is a whole different set of issues that need to be addressed.  safety issues, emotional issues, body issues - - its a GIANT ball of wax with girls... with boys its a medium ball of wax lol.

Quoting ajjs1972:

I agree with this as well, but the teaching of being responsible is not different per say.

Quoting samthecat001:

"Put the rake down. I don't wanna sit around watching you 'give it your best.' Either stop sucking or get the fuck out of the way."  Justins dad

ajjs1972
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:34 PM

did I say I never taught him anything until now? no, I didn't, like you we have covered things as they come on him, from body parts to what they arte for to what the emotions mean and we have a long road still ahead of us I think.

Quoting samthecat001:

you have to be always inching toward it... it doesnt suddenly get deep... if you continually talk about it then the transition into talking about their sexual health is not that dramatic.

Quoting ajjs1972:

Quoting samthecat001:

ajjs1972
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:35 PM

nope- we have talked of the same exact things as well! actually-boys can be quite emotional and then throw in being pig-headed like their fathers and boy oh boy! LOL

Quoting samthecat001:

absolutely correct.  but for girls there is a whole different set of issues that need to be addressed.  safety issues, emotional issues, body issues - - its a GIANT ball of wax with girls... with boys its a medium ball of wax lol.

Quoting ajjs1972:

Quoting samthecat001:

samthecat001
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:36 PM

why do you seem agitated with what im saying? lol
i didnt accuse you of something lol... say you didnt do something right?
IMO by age 16 the road shouldnt be THAT long... they know more than we think they do - and if we dont talk to them then they are getting bad info.

Quoting ajjs1972:

did I say I never taught him anything until now? no, I didn't, like you we have covered things as they come on him, from body parts to what they arte for to what the emotions mean and we have a long road still ahead of us I think.

Quoting samthecat001:

Quoting ajjs1972:

Quoting samthecat001:

clovismommy25
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:43 PM

We aren't there yet, but we are honest based on age, but will be like you when our boys are teens, we have three sons, no daughters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)