• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think having a miscarriage has changed my perception of abortion.

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:37 PM
  • 379 Replies

Previously, my stance on abortion was that life begins at conception and a pregnancy should only be terminated to save the mother's life or in cases of rape or incest.

I miscarried last week. I was 7 weeks along. I always thought that if I had a miscarriage it would solidify the idea that life begins at conception. I always looked at conception and pregnancy as something miraculous.

I no longer feel that way. There is nothing miraculous about what happened to me last week. That was nothing but nature taking its course. Maybe my different opinion now is just a way to cope with what happened. I honestly can say that I now don't feel like life begins at conception....I think it begins when the baby can live on its own outside of the womb.

I no longer think that women who have abortions are committing a sin. How could they be doing something so wrong when God does it all the time.......

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
graciebsgranny
by Angie on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Wow I'm sorry you went through that!!! But get ready for the drama cause I'm sure it's coming to this post!

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:39 PM

(((HUG)))

hinojoza0507
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:40 PM
I dont think God is to blame. We're not perfect so nothing that we do or what happens will be always perfection. I thin you're going through a very hard time and I understand you, I myself had a miscarriage due to stress but now I have 2 womderful children and ttc #3. I hope that later you can see things a different way and I'm so sorry for your loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prego7386
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:41 PM

well....i am pro choice but in a lot of cases with miscarriages its because there was a less than ideal situation with either the fetus formation or the uterus at the time...miscarriages are not unusual at all, though they can be emotionally devastating to some. an abortion is elected and the fetus could have gone on to develop into a functioning baby..or not we don't know we aren't future tellers.  Im sorry to hear your pregnancy ended though :(

judybant
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:42 PM

because when God does it, it's because there is a problem that means the baby would NEVER be able to live outside the womb. MOST abortions are done simply because it's inconvenient for the woman to have a baby right then. Inconvenience is NOT a reason to kill.

alberns303
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:44 PM

But if God creates life why did he create something so defective for me.......

Quoting judybant:

because when God does it, it's because there is a problem that means the baby would NEVER be able to live outside the womb. MOST abortions are done simply because it's inconvenient for the woman to have a baby right then. Inconvenience is NOT a reason to kill.

NickiNavarro
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Wow.........I'm sorry you went through that. I miscarried several years ago and I do not believe life begins at conception. I am pro choice but understand both sides of the argument. I don't believe in God per say but I do believe in nature, and if it is any comfort just know that your body is working properly and that the fetus was not healthy. (((Hugs))))

una1
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:45 PM

This. I had a MC in jan, i was 12 weeks gone. It was the worst thing i have gone though, but i know had my baby been born he/she would never have lived. I had a partial molar pregnancy, so i would of been luckly to get past 16 weeks.

Quoting judybant:

lifehappy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:46 PM

How are the two even comparable?

I'm sorry for your loss, but as someone who has had miscarriages in the double digits after years of trying for a baby, I think your epiphany is asinine. Sorry. I grieve for every life I lost.

NickiNavarro
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Quoting judybant:

Having parents that don't want you is slightly more than "inconvenient"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)