Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My apartment got broken into.. and I can't get over it!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:50 PM
  • 23 Replies

About a month ago, our back door got broken into at 5 in the morning. I was sleeping on the couch with both of my babies. I heard someone in my kitchen and I thought it was my husband so I asked what he was doing, and then my kitchen door shut... and  I went and looked out because I thought my husband had taken off walking. And he was upstairs in bed. There is a row of 8 houses out my back door with a walk way and a fence. And it was completely pitch black. Then they came back the next weekend and broke into every door one by one. But no one took anything, just my neighbors had their dirty laundry stolen. Our landlords put sliding locks on everyone's door.. but they came back last weekend, and were aggressively trying to get in my neighbors door. 

I am scared to death now. I can't sleep. I put 911 on my cell phone so all I have to do is hit the call button and I sleep with it in my hand. I don't know how to get my kids from their bedrooms upstairs if someone is trying to come in downstairs. If they're in the living room, I know I can grab them and run out the front door. But I just imagine being trapped with them upstairs while someone is downstairs in my house. My husband has to work late tonight and I am so freaked out. I don't understand why they would break in and not take anything from anyone's house. Are they planning to come back? With guns? Why did they try to get in my neighbor's house last weekend but not mine? 

I am going crazy. We don't have a gun here... and I would feel so much better if I did. But I can't afford one. I put one of the master lock bars that fits under the door handle... I put a light in the back, but that didn't stop them from breaking into my neighbors house when their door is less than a foot from mine. They put the sliding locks on our door but I know they could break them out of the drywall... I can't get a deadbolt. I don't have the tools to put one in. I got renters insurance. .but I'm more worried about my babies.

This has screwed us up so bad. My husband and I take turns  sleeping downstairs so we can hear if someone is trying to get in. Anyone have any advice or anything??

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ethans_mommy09
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:55 PM

BUMP!

BDolphins82
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:57 PM

i am sorry. the only thing I can think of is move. but i am sure that isn't much of a help.

jojomommy
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:58 PM

have the police make patrols by,get the owner to put alarms in, barrow a very large dog for a week

Hair Salon Studio 2865

pasteeater
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:00 PM

You might need a little counseling.  Sounds like you are suffering from PTSD.  It can really mess with your head.  I do not blame you for being scared.  Did they catch them?  I sure hope so.  Maybe then you'd feel better.

natalex26
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:02 PM
set up a camera inside a window that they would be able to see or install one outside where they try to break in. Maybe it will scare themm off if they think they are beinf taped
Nameismommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Buy some pepper spray.

ColeParkerMason
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Trust me I want to! But my husband is deploying in 6 months and I am moving back home.. so it just wouldn't work. It scares me that they've come back almost every weekend. I think they caught someone breaking into another house near mine, but the break ins only stopped 2 weekends.. They broke in 2 weekends in a row, quit for 2 weeks and came back last weekend. So I'm just scared.

Quoting BDolphins82:

i am sorry. the only thing I can think of is move. but i am sure that isn't much of a help.

ColeParkerMason
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:06 PM

The police went to our landlords and told them they had to get a security system, allow guard dogs, or put deadbolt locks on the doors. They came up with the ball and bar slide locks. They wouldnt pay to have deadbolts installed. They won't allow animals. It's ridiculous.

Quoting jojomommy:

have the police make patrols by,get the owner to put alarms in, barrow a very large dog for a week

nessy1980
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:10 PM

We are worried too. My husbands aunt lives in the same apartments as we do and her husbands truck got broken into. So instead of us getting a gun we got a dog. I am sorry sweetie. You could buy a tazer.

ForeverInLove
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Get some wood that is long enough to go into the slot of the outer sliding door, so you can't open the door at all.

Get a lamp, or some sort of dull light that you can leave constantly on at the back door. This way, at least you are illuminated and hopefully, this could help to deter them from your place.

Get some 'screaming' alarms that can be installed at doors and windows. When the two magnets seperate, the alarms will sound and they will be loud.

Talk with your neighbors and see about making a little 'neighbor watch' for your complex. I'm sure none of these people would like anything stolen, or to happen to them or anyone else in the complex. See if there is someway that you could all alert each other that there has been movement or actual break-ins.

If you are able to do extra security on the window in one of the kids bedrooms, do it, and then see about using that as a safe room. Take everyone in there and then block the door with a bed or dresser. Then, you'll have some sense of safeness as you could still get out the window if you needed to.

If you have ANY phone jacks in the house, get a regular corded phone that doesn't require battery operation and hook it up. All phone lines in a home can still dial 911, even if there is no active service there. It is required by law.

Sleep with a bar, sword, or some other long object you could effectively swing. If you have good aim, consider getting some throwing stars or other throwing objects.

Ask the landlord if he would be willing to install motion activated lights for the back yard between each set of doors. If he is not, ask if you can install one that you can remove when you move out.

Get some wasp spray, as this will projectile spray about 20 feet, and when it comes in contact with a persons eyes, the must seek emergency medical treatment or risk permanent blindness. Make sure the kids can't reach it. It can also cause breathing problems. Great for if the person were to become an assailant (attack or threaten bodily harm) to you.

Tell your husband to talk to his boss about what is going on so if you need to emergency call him home, his boss has prior knowledge of why and isn't having an employee leave with little to no notice for the night.

Hope this helps some!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)