Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing a newborn kitten...ever done it??**UPDATE**

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:50 PM
  • 21 Replies

Ex hubby called me a few days ago because his brother had some kittens under his home  that had been abandoned by their mother. They got  rid of all but one. He knew I wouldnt say no...ugh. The kitten is about 3 weeks old. His eyes are open and his ears are up. I have had a hard time getting him to  nurse from the bottle. I am going today to get a syringe to feed him from. He has had a few bowel movements. But not enough and not urinating enough. I know its because  he is not eating enough. My SIL works at the SPCA  and I brought him up there to be wormed earlier.  I am keeping him wrapped up in a towel to stay warm. He loves to be  rocked. lol. I know its hard to keep them alive at this stage so if anyone has any  tips or advice it would be great.

My poor little kitty, whom I had named Dexter, died sometime during the night. I woke up this morning, got his milk ready and he was dead. I do not know why. He ate great last night  and went potty. I am thinking he got over heated. I had him by the heating pad wrapped in a towel. Also, he could have been toyoung for the worming meds. He threw up last night. I have been crying all morning. Thanks everyone for the advice. Just wanted  to let you  all know.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
graciebsgranny
by Angie on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Yes as gross as it sounds, everytime you feed it you need to take a warm rag and massage his little butthole, it stimulates his bowels. that is what his mama would do!

Bknotnobody
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:52 PM

make sure you use kitten replacement milk, and to help with bowel movements take a warm cloth to his tummy, and rub gently...it should help him do his business. I don't know exactly how often you're supposed to feed them, but I think it's like every 2-4 hours, but I could totally be wrong. Hope this helps.

RoseWall
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:53 PM

eyedropper to feed kitten milk replacement formula.

ShhhItsASecret
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:54 PM
Omg when i first saw the title of the post, I thought you were going to tell us your breastfeeding the kitten. Hey I've seen lots of strange people on cafemom!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hinojoza0507
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:54 PM
I did but mine died it was too small, his eyes werent even open yet and his umbilical cord was still attached, if he doesnt have bowel movements i read you have to grab a cloth and wet it with warm water and rub his butt because thats what the mother kitten does and that would help him havd more bowel movements. I think yours has a good chance ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ladyvamp5489
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Yup you HAVE to! And they need to be fed at that age every hour or 2!  as they get older yu can stretch it to longer between feedings! Make sure its kitten replacement milk or canned works too!

Quoting graciebsgranny:

Yes as gross as it sounds, everytime you feed it you need to take a warm rag and massage his little butthole, it stimulates his bowels. that is what his mama would do!

NickiNavarro
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:55 PM

No but I milked a cat once.....lol you can millk anything that has nipples

NickiNavarro
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Quoting ShhhItsASecret:

Omg when i first saw the title of the post, I thought you were going to tell us your breastfeeding the kitten. Hey I've seen lots of strange people on cafemom!

Thats what I thought

oboe_chik
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:58 PM
Yep that happened to me too. A cat had a litter of kittens in our garage and left. Only one was still alive by the time we found them. It lived for a few days though.

Quoting hinojoza0507:

I did but mine died it was too small, his eyes werent even open yet and his umbilical cord was still attached, if he doesnt have bowel movements i read you have to grab a cloth and wet it with warm water and rub his butt because thats what the mother kitten does and that would help him havd more bowel movements. I think yours has a good chance ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
graciebsgranny
by Angie on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

Yup you HAVE to! And they need to be fed at that age every hour or 2!  as they get older yu can stretch it to longer between feedings! Make sure its kitten replacement milk or canned works too!

Quoting graciebsgranny:

Yup i got a kitty once when she was 9 days old, her mama rejected her. She was starving to death when I got her, I had to come to cafemom and get my advice, she survived it though. So I'm guessing if your kitties eyes and ears are open she has a pretty good chance of survival. I fed my kitty evaporated milk that I watered down!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)