• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you handle this. Are we wrong ?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:59 PM
  • 17 Replies

So we have been having problems with our neughbor and their dog and their little girl. Well Their little girl is about 7 or 8 years old. My DD is 2 1/2 years old. EVERY single time we go outside that girl comes outside wanting to come over and play. Most of the time were about to eat dinner or its getting dark (its been super hot and thats the part of the day its nice enough to go outside). Her mom is really rude. My dad asked her to keep her dogs out of our yard she told him she will not do anything that we should fix the fence. But my dad said its not even our fence and hes not fixing it because she cant keep her dogs out of our yard or keep her kid off the fence. She climbs it and has already broken it, so why should we have to fix it if shes just gonna climb it and break it ? My dad said he wants to put a privacy fence on our side of it. Anywho getting off track. Personall i dont think its appropiate for her to play with my DD with the big age gap. Also we have allowed her to come over and play and she was EVERYWERE. We have a bunch of toys back there and she took everything out of the bin playing with everything taking toys from my DD to play with it. It was a mess kinda rude if you ask me. Well my dad says he does not want that little girl to be coming over here in our yard. But she asks EVERYTIME were out there. Its kinda annoying. Today we went out cuz its been nice all day, and sure enough this little girl comes out and asks to come over i said no. She said why. So i just told her we were going somewere and ended up taking my kids to the park. We just got home and my DD wants to play with her bubbles. And AS SOON as she went outside the little girl comes out. This time my dad was helping my DD get her bubbles out. The little girls asks to come over and my dad said no shes to little to play with you. And then the girl goes "I have an idea how about i come over an wait for the little girl to play" My dad said no and came inside.....

Sorry if im rambling lol. Do you think were being mean ? I mean i feel bad its not the little girls fault her mom is nasty and rude. But my dad says he doesnt want the little girl to come play here in fear that the kid gets hurt and her mom tries to sue my parents or something. And since were not "friendly" with her mom she prolly would try something like that lol.

So im new to this. What do i do ? How do i play outside with ym kiddo and keep telling this little girl no you can not come over ??? Or are we being mean and should let the little girl come play ?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Love2Bugs
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:11 PM

BUMP!

Colleen86
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:15 PM
I think you should tell her mother to stop her daughter from going to your house and bugging you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nemiller
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:15 PM

if she's mean to your daughter and you're worried about her mom overreacting if something happens, i wouldn't want her over there either.  i think your dad putting up his own privacy fence is a good idea right about now.

BatGirl1415
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I don't think you're being mean at all.

Love2Bugs
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Thats the thing her mom is NEVER outside. I dont think i have ever seen her mom and the moved in around aprilish. No i lied i have seen her a cpl times sitting in the back yard. One time it looked like she was making out with one of those dogs. Gross. But i just feel bad for the little girl. But i also dont want to risk anything lol.

BatGirl1415
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Oh, you could let the girl over, but since it's your house, don't be afraid to lay down rules for her, and if she refuses, tell her to go home. Her mother obviously doesn't give a crap.

sarasloveable
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:22 PM
This

Quoting nemiller:

if she's mean to your daughter and you're worried about her mom overreacting if something happens, i wouldn't want her over there either.  i think your dad putting up his own privacy fence is a good idea right about now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
axy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Quoting BatGirl1415:

Oh, you could let the girl over, but since it's your house, don't be afraid to lay down rules for her, and if she refuses, tell her to go home. Her mother obviously doesn't give a crap.

i totally agree with this!

coug7099
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:27 PM

IMO she is too old to play with your child. I would keep telling her no. If you do decide to allow her to play tell her what the rules are and as soon as she breaks one rule tell her it is time to go home. She sounds like she is just looking for attention but that doesn't mean that you have to disrupt your life to give her that attention.

As to the dogs, does your city have a leash law? I would call animal control every time they came into my yard. After a few fines I bet they would fix the fence and keep their kid at home.

DamianaFire
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:29 PM

No, you are not overreacting.. this is the kid of child that will not think twice about hurting your DD to get what she wants.  she has not been raised properly. that is not her fault, but she does have to live it.. so, you need to do what you need to do to protect your DD. Do it, do not feel bad... Your DD is YOUR responsibility.  Her safety, her happiness and her upbringing.. You need to teach her (even at her age) the proper way to be.. and if you allow this child to influence your DD, that is your fault.. I think you are doing the right thing.. You are totally right that if anything happens to the girl, the mother will come after you. She sounds like the kind of person that will sue you, but also come after you on every level. physically.. and will damage your property. 

BE CAREFUL!!!   and GL...

added:   Also, the next time the dogs are out., call animal control and have them picked up.. you dont know these dogs.. if they have been trained as well as her daughter was raised, they could turn on anyone in your family at any time... watch out for them.. I would have them picked up the next time I see them out.. but thats me...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)