Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why I support TWLOHA

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:02 PM
  • 7 Replies

Many people probably dont know what TWLOHA is.
TWLOHA (To Write Love on Her Arms) is a non-profit org that brings help and resources to teens and young adults dealing with self-injury, depression, and addiction. While they may not be professionals in the field...they have a dream...one that everyone is born to love and be loved. TWLOHA was started to help pay for their friends drug treatment and has expanded far and wide....I havent shared this story about me with one....but this is why I support TWLOHA:

When I was in elementry school I was molested by a neighbor. I couldnt tell my family so I told my arms (and thighs) with broken razors. It started off small. Then I got caught on fire in a cooking accident (8th grade) and my SI got worse. By Jr year of high school I was carving my arms up like a butterball turkey almost daily and started to cut in other place because I (like many people who self injur) wanted to keep it hidden so I started on the bottom of my feet and under my breasts. Then my best friend since I was 7 almost died. She was t-boned and was on life support for 2 months. Even now, shes at the mental capacity of a 5 year old. She's 25.
I had figured by this point, no one would accept a girl with her arms/legs/boobs/feet with cut mark all over them plus the countless scars from my accident. So I ended up in an abusive relationship (mentally, physically, sexually..you name it) . That made it worse and I started to ripout chunks of my hair from pulling it so hard
For 2 years I was mis-diagnosed. Schizophrenic...well no because I dont hear "people" in my head telling me to do this. So after 2 different meds for Schizophrenia (even tried to dx me as a paranoid schizophrenic) they decided I suffered from Bi-Polar. Well...again no. While I hit an extreme low, I never hit an extreme high. I would just level off. After many failed attempts to dx me (including trying to dx me with Aspergers Syndrome) they landed on me suffering from Depression and a panic disorder. It took til I was almost 20.

If you want to learn more about TWLOHA, please visit the link in my siggy. I'm sure I'll get bashed my someone, but its whatever

~*~Shawna~*~
A sign language using, front facing, no more shots, anti-leash (leashes are for dogs...not kids), pro-circ-ing, pitbull owning, pierced, tattooed, Proud mama to Corbin Sage (1/3/08) TTC #2. A happy loved little monster

ttc orange ribbon  love you sign

"To love is to be vulnerable." — C.S. Lewis
You Are Not Alone--TWLOHA

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tego
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:03 PM

you rockhugs

lovinlifemommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:07 PM

BUMP!

BatGirl1415
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:12 PM

I know the Organization, and I'm glad it exists. I'm glad you're getting help for it all! I don't understand all the pain that you went through, since I have never gone through anything so awful, but I can imagine.

I merely experimented with self-harm, but it was enough so that now I'm still tempted if I feel particularly down about myself. The thing that helps me not to give in, is my daughter. She needs a good example to follow and doesn't ever need to see her mom in any sort of pain. I never want her to feel so bad that she thinks she needs to, for lack of a better term, "punish" herself in order to feel better and release her pain. So I will never show her my own low self-esteem.

MsJoa
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:15 PM
*Hugs* love it!

I could have used support like that when I was younger.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tml06451
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Quoting MsJoa:

*Hugs* love it!

I could have used support like that when I was younger.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamatocaleb
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:18 PM

I too was a SI. I totally understand what you mean by no real high. Although hurting myself was an adrenaline high. I felt in control. I can't say I'm stupid for doing it because I know from doing it I had to come from a bad place to where I am now. Healthy and happy without pain meds. All it really took for me was to get AWAY from the pain.

rocker_mommy_08
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Quoting mamatocaleb:

I too was a SI. I totally understand what you mean by no real high. Although hurting myself was an adrenaline high. I felt in control. I can't say I'm stupid for doing it because I know from doing it I had to come from a bad place to where I am now. Healthy and happy without pain meds. All it really took for me was to get AWAY from the pain.

Once I eventually got away from my ex (it took my best friend to help give me the strength) I started to stop SI-ing. Like you, for me it was a means of control. I had no coltrol anywhere else in my life so I saught it where-ever I could. Even if it meant destroying my spirit or my body.

~*~Shawna~*~
A sign language using, front facing, no more shots, anti-leash (leashes are for dogs...not kids), pro-circ-ing, pitbull owning, pierced, tattooed, Proud mama to Corbin Sage (1/3/08) TTC #2. A happy loved little monster

ttc orange ribbon  love you sign

"To love is to be vulnerable." — C.S. Lewis
You Are Not Alone--TWLOHA

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)