Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long do you leave spaghetti sauce in the fridge?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:24 PM
  • 11 Replies

My Dh made me a bowl of spaghetti yesterday for lunch.  I assumed he used the new jar of sauce from the cabinet but after I started puking uncontrollably about an hour later I realized he used the old jar in the fridge.  I don't even remember the last time we had spaghetti; in his words "it was fine, it's not like it had mold on it."  I say it's only good for a few days-a week after it's been open.  Dh says its good until it's growing stuff.  How long after spaghetti sauce is open would you use it?

Join Team Kayden in a walk for the cure!
teal ribbon                                    toddler boy

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bboysmommy11
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:26 PM

I usually use all of it when I make spaghetti.  But leftovers last a few days in the fridge.  I would say no more than a week!

luvmyaustin
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:26 PM

i have a 3 day rule for left overs..food breads bacteria that we cannot see.

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:27 PM

I don't buy jar sauce.  But I've left my homemade sauce in the fridge for  up to a week before freezing it.

It could be just a bug.  There are a LOT of preservatives in a jar of spaghetti sauce.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:27 PM

from the jar w/ no additions, about  2 weeks or so.  I also pour it into a bowl, not dipping a spoon into it to get sauce out.  We usually make a big batch of spaghetti and then freeze the leftovers.  Maybe with leftover sauce, put it an ice cube tray for ind. size sauces lol.

bupkie
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Within one week of opening....

ladyvamp5489

Me too 3 days max!

Quoting luvmyaustin:

i have a 3 day rule for left overs..food breads bacteria that we cannot see.

tego

what does the date on the jar say? I would think a week at most...I remember seeing it say use within 7 days of opening. I err on the side of caution so after 3-4 days I'd throw it out.  I have a jar of Ragu but it doesn't say.

Chandra034
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:43 PM
That's what I thought. I usually make a point of throwing it out after three days but I must have missed that jar.
luvmyaustin
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM

i have worked in the food industry for years and because i am a GM i have to be certified in food inspection...ultimately it is up to you but what i know is 3 days is a good rule of thumb.KWIM...

zoeysmom331
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:49 PM

4-5 days max

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)