• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Let's poke the bear with a stick!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:35 PM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: What would you do?

Options:

Just let it go.

Keep asking them to tell me what I had done....but do nothing more.

Be 'hateful' and 'abusive' because they thought that was how I was, so I'd give it to them.

Other.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 17

View Results

Just so you know (in case you didn't already :P) I am a 'horrible person'. And this is because I was 'mean' to someone and 'made them cry'. I could almost laugh at how funny and 3rd grade that sounds...but it seriously 'got me in trouble' in a group (ETA: a real live group, not an internet group) I am in, and I was suspended <---more 3rd grade...but anyway.

It brought to light, yet again, that I am not like most people...but I'm still going to ask this question...

When someone repeatedly says something untrue about you, and you try to talk to them about why they feel the way they do, but rather than talk to you they just keep slinging insults (this would be the 'poking the bear' part), do you just 'let it go' or do you give them 'what they're asking for'?

(Example:

Other person: I can't speak to you ever again.

You: Why? What I have I done.

Other person: Why are you always so hateful?!

You: What are you talking about?!

Other person: STOP sending these abusive emails.

You: Seriously? ..... (now...here is where I ask, do you let it go, or do you then tell them exactly what you think of them....since you are so 'hateful' and 'abusive')???)

^^^^^and yes, that is what the conversation I had with someone was actually like, before I let it all out^^^^

Please answer poll, and if you have anything to add...like WHY you would choose the response you did...please add it in the comments :)

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
megan479
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:38 PM

in that situation i would tell them no knock it off with the freaking red herrings and answer my questions....like how was i being hateful, and what emails?

i would respond like that because it hate it when people change the subject onme

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:39 PM

In my experience, it doesn't matter what you've done.  Once they are to that riled point, it's best just to let it go.  You may or may not have done something to deserve them acting like that.

Honestly, do you really care? If they're going to be that much of a spinner and you have no idea what the hey is going on, why bother?

It'll make your life happier.  THink of yourself.

jenn75
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:41 PM

It's the freaking internet! LET IT GO!

I don't even know what post you're talking about.

ProudSingleMum
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Sorry, I should have specified....this is a real live group...not an internet group. These are people I actually interact with in person.

Quoting jenn75:

ProudSingleMum
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Quoting ninipanini:

In my experience, it doesn't matter what you've done.  Once they are to that riled point, it's best just to let it go.  You may or may not have done something to deserve them acting like that.

Honestly, do you really care? If they're going to be that much of a spinner and you have no idea what the hey is going on, why bother?

It'll make your life happier.  THink of yourself.

Interestingly enough...my life is happier now. And WAY less stressed. Bottling up anger...really does nothing good for me. I almost always feel better just 'letting it out'.

jenn75
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Oh, lol. 

I'd still let it go. If they are saying that you're a ceriain way & you are trying to prove them wrong then proving them right won't help your cause.

Quoting ProudSingleMum:

Sorry, I should have specified....this is a real live group...not an internet group. These are people I actually interact with in person.

Quoting jenn75:

activitymode
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I would ask why and keep asking and If I felt that was going nowhere then yes, I would "let it all out" so to speak.

ProudSingleMum
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:47 PM

That part's quite true...

But it did make me feel better ultimately. ANd there's something wonderful about knowing how someone is, even if other's arent' willing to see it.

Quoting jenn75:

Oh, lol. 

I'd still let it go. If they are saying that you're a ceriain way & you are trying to prove them wrong then proving them right won't help your cause.

ProudSingleMum
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM

The 'emails' would the the one line questions being asked in the OP (following "You:").

Quoting megan479:

in that situation i would tell them no knock it off with the freaking red herrings and answer my questions....like how was i being hateful, and what emails?

i would respond like that because it hate it when people change the subject onme

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)