• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

autism!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:02 PM
  • 11 Replies

ok ladies i have a friend, an her son has autism. She is having issue's with his behavior, she doesn't know how to deal with him. All she does is yell at him. We were talking earlier an she has decided she wants to find ways to discilining him with out yelling at him. She wants to become a better mother to him. do any of you ladies have any advice for her? i'm doing some research online, but i wanted to ask you ladies as well. She is desperate. today he throw a scooter at my 4 year old an hurt him pretty bad. Her son is 9.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tinker_Jo
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Intense behavioral therapy.

JADIEBUG
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:04 PM

She needs to get him in to see a Developmental Therapist or a Behavioral Therapist. They would be the best experts to help her come up with a plan to deal with his behaviors. Our Developmental Therapist helps us tremendously with our son who has Asperger's.

2and2onway
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:05 PM

counseling and play therapy both have worked with my son.

Tinker_Jo
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:07 PM

There may be a free  therapy  program through the university nearest her. That's where I take my two kids. It's run through the Psychology department.

mnmommy1
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:07 PM

First off she needs to stop yelling at him, that will only make it worse. She needs to get him into someone, if she needs to she can get a referral from her doctor. My daugher has autism, and she has many different services in place.

Tinker_Jo
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Play therapy is great! 

Ethans_mom718
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Intense behavioral therapy, my son has alot of these moments! The behavioral dr can come up with a plan for him, we were lost until we took him to see this dr.

StephanAndCoral
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:09 PM

BUMP!

mnmommy1

Quoting Tinker_Jo:

Play therapy is great! 

I think it is good too, but not for all kids. Some kids with autism dont respond well to play therapy. ( like my daughter) so they recommended more things like social skills groups.

mommyof2boysmd

thank you ladies, his damn doctor keeps changing his meds so that not helping him either

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)