Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My favorite cookie recipe

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:15 PM
  • 14 Replies

I just have to share this recipe. It was my favorite when my  mom used to make them for us, and now I am making them for my son. We always called them Scripture Cookies, because my mom said you could find all of the ingredients in the bible. I'm not sure where she figured that out at, but that's what we called them. They are actually just a no bake cookie without a real name that I have ever found.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Cooling time: 2 hours

Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes

Yield: 24 cookies

Ingredients:

• 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup cocoa
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal

Preparation:

In large saucepan, combine sugar, milk, cocoa, salt, and butter and mix well. Stir mixture and bring it to a boil that can't be stirred down for 1 minute. Then remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Add oatmeal and mix well. Do not use regular or instant oatmeal; quick-cooking oatmeal is essential to the success of this recipe.

Make sure you boil the combined ingredients for one minute. It is esential to the cooling down period.

Before you cook the mixture make sure you lay down some wax paper on the counter. I use two sheets about two feet long. Once the preparation is complete take a spoon, I use a tea spoon, the kind with the long handle, but a regular spoon will work. Scoop a spoonful amount of the mix onto the spoon and drop it on the wax paper. It may take some time to figure out how much to get on the spoon, but my cookies end up being a little over 1" by 1". Do this as quickly as you can as the mix dries extremely fast. Once you have made all of the cookies let them dry until you can pick them up without breaking, about one hour, less if you can't wait to eat them (snicker).

These cookies are soooo good. 
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
acaisha
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM

we always called those haystack cookies

serjil
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM

bump

serjil
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:18 PM

That makes sense because of the shape they are after you plop them on the wax paper. Brown hay though? lol.

Quoting acaisha:

we always called those haystack cookies

Ajanee12
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:18 PM

we call those no bake cookies :)

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM
This

Quoting Ajanee12:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomLuvsTnkrbell
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:20 PM
We put coconut in our's
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
serjil
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Yes, that is how I've always found the recipe on the web, by typing in "no bake cookies". I've never found a name for them, so I just call them what I have since childhood. You could make up any name for them if wanted to.

Quoting Ajanee12:

serjil
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM

You can add other ingredients that you like. I personally don't like coconut flavoring in anything, so I just keep it simple. 

Quoting MomLuvsTnkrbell:

We put coconut in our's

sllytnkrbl
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:27 PM
I'll have to try these thank you for sharing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Merricksmom1
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:27 PM
Mmmmmm No bakes!! Yummy!! :) now I'm gonna have to make some tomorrow! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)