• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Does A Dry Socket Feel Like?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:29 PM
  • 34 Replies

I had oral surgery on Friday to have my wisdom teeth cut out (all 4 of them plus a cyst behind my bottom right one).

Anyway, I have stitches in my mouth where they had to cut (sort of on the sides of my gums) and the doctor said they have packing in my gums (they are taking that out tomorrow afternoon).

My question is: what does a dry socket feel like? Also, can I have one yet since I still have packing in my gums?

I'm wondering because on the left side of my mouth, I have this sort of pain in the hole where the tooth should be and sometimes it's around that area. I haven't been using a straw or smoking or anything like that...and I heard a dry socket is one of the worst kind of pains, but I don't know...

The pain I have is like when you have a really bad tooth ache or something...but it hurts bad....so I'm just wondering.

Thanks.

Army wife to Chad (12/28/2007) army

Mommy to Jeffrey (10/14/2009) baby boy

Military Moms
Join us on The Military Moms Group - -Military Moms Group Mod

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Never had one but here's a bump

Rie03
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:31 PM

BUMP!

nemiller
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

my friend in high school got dry sockets where all 4 of her wisdom teeth had been.  she said that it started out sore like a regular toothache and gradually got worse until her whole head hurt so bad she could barely stand it (though some of that might have been just having all 4 of them do this at the same time).

abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM
It's enough to make a grown man cry. When I worked at a dentist office I saw many men and women sobbing like babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aprilmommy2007
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:33 PM

it is the worse pain ever, when you take something for the pain does the pain go away, if so its not a dry socket, a dry socket pain meds dont help they pack the hole with packing soaked in this nasty tasting stuff it works but makes you drool really bad

lcappytan05
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I've heard it's less common to get them on the top since they heal quicker...

but I don't know how I would get one if I even have one because I haven't been sucking on anything or doing anything to remove the clot...sometimes when I drink water, it feels like I'm sucking it from the glass, but I'm not...so I don't know...

Quoting nemiller:

my friend in high school got dry sockets where all 4 of her wisdom teeth had been.  she said that it started out sore like a regular toothache and gradually got worse until her whole head hurt so bad she could barely stand it (though some of that might have been just having all 4 of them do this at the same time).

Army wife to Chad (12/28/2007) army

Mommy to Jeffrey (10/14/2009) baby boy

Military Moms
Join us on The Military Moms Group - -Military Moms Group Mod

momofhnd
by Nugget Nabber on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM

It is like 100 times worse than a tooth ache.. well this what my cousin told me.. He said he felt like a drill was drillling into the hole where the tooth was..

KaitelynnesMom

Its EXTREMELY painful! sometimes can be sensitive to air cold things .. ive had dry socket twice. both times i felt like i was being PUNCHED in the face OVER and OVER ETA: yes you can have it this soon even with packing.

Kayla~22 single mom to a beautiful 2 yr old named Kaitelynne. Navy girlfriend to Ryan. i love you babe! Full time college Student~ whoohoo RN here i come~~~
wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I've never had one, but surely they gave you pain meds because of the surgery? Aren't they working?

Haydensmommytn

horrible ,falling to your knees in pain , horrible

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)