Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do public schools near you teach

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM
  • 9 Replies

children how to write? my dd is in preschool (not public) but they sent home a note today saying that when the kids do stuff at home they should pracitce writing in "modern manuscript" b/c this is what they are being taught at school and this is what the public schools teach in kindergarten next year. they said the purpose of this is so the children have an easier time learning cursive later on. which is fine makes sense, i'm just curious are other school districts doing this as well or is it just here?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM

The district I taught at uses Handwriting Without Tears.

jessil83
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:08 PM

what is that? i'm sorry this is all new to me :) its the font that they are teaching them, the font isn't old fashioned normal font its almost like cursive like, the letters curve etc...

Quoting KairisMama:

lilyrose73
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:11 PM

My kid's district teaches D'Nealian... I can't believe it!  IMO, that's so outdated, they shouldn't need to write with all the squigglies... I think that's the program I used a loooong time a go when I was in grade school.  I don't like it at all.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I have no clue...I had no idea learning how to write had programs with names!

mama_k228
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:17 PM

When my DD was learning to print about 12 years ago, it was D'Nealian.  I had never heard of it.  I learned (a hundred years ago) with the regular block style, straight-up letters.  Her teacher said D'Nealian, with all the curls and slants, transitions them better into cursive writing.  Personally, I think they could come up with some other more important educational issues to address.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:31 PM

http://www.hwtears.com/

Quoting jessil83:

what is that? i'm sorry this is all new to me :) its the font that they are teaching them, the font isn't old fashioned normal font its almost like cursive like, the letters curve etc...

Quoting KairisMama:

Monica84
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:34 PM

BUMP!

82ndairbornewif
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:34 PM
Jessi, the public schools here teach the same way. Lukas is homeschooled so we do it our way ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessil83
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:22 PM

ok thanks ladies, its the same thing. the d'nealian thing that is, they mentioned that it was called that in the letter and that its also called modern manuscript. we learned the block letters in school as well, and all the handwriting books i've gotten her in the last year or so had block letters too. kinda surprised if they aren't teaching kids to write that way in most places that the books wouldn't have that "font" in them. i didn't want her to have to learn that way if other schools didn't teach it either, so i guess we'll work on it at home than.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)