• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am not sure what to do.....Dog Owners

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:52 PM
  • 26 Replies

We adopted a dog in July from our Human Society. She is a great dog around my whole extended family, except she is rather hyper and not good around other dogs. She was very good until about two weeks ago. Our neighbors kids began teasing her from outside our window or patio door. I talked to them and the mom more than once. Nothing changed.....tonight my son took her out for a walk and one of these kids came running up to her to pet her. Bella lunged at the girl and bit her in the cheek. I feel horrible but I can not put all the blame on Bella. Well, the mom is taking the girl to the doctor (they were just scratches) but I am afraid they will now take the dog away and I will have high doctor bills since they are going to the ER. If it was my kid I wouldn't even take her in, but I guess she needs to do what she needs to do for her child. I am on a waiting list for obedience classes.

She really is not aggressive around other kids. My great-niece plays with her all the time (she is 19 months).

What should I do? Can they take the dog away?

Bella and my daughter

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommylisa7
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Bump!  ANYONE???

mamivon2
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM

I have plenty of those kind of neighbors. I tell them 100 times stay away from our dog...

Not sure what they will/can do.. btw my dog hates other dogs too loves cats

madiberry
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:59 PM
From what I know (which isn't a lot) they can make you put the dog to sleep. Sad. Because its not always the dogs fault. Maybe nothing will come of it. You don't need obedience classes. It depends on the breed &age of the dog. I have a german shepherd and we are still doing obedience training. If you need any tips or suggestions, message me. I'd be glad to help if I can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
La-Belle-Vie

She does need to go to the doctor and since it is later at night then the ER it is.

Dog bites are bad even if it is a scratch.  They need to clean it out and they will probably give her a tetanus as well.

It really does not matter the situation but the dog was at fault for biting that girl.

They will not take her away.  Most dogs who are reported are quarantined and allowed a "free" bite per say (I know in my state this was the case when I was bit).

KnitWit0686
I don't know what they would do about dogs because my beagle has never bitten anyone, but my cat bit my son pretty badly about a month or so ago and they didn't take the cat, they just put him under 10 day quarantine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jkleinman

Unfortunately the hospital is required to report any and all dog bites.  the first report shouldn't cause you to loose the dog, but they may tell you to quarentine the dog for 10 days.  If the dog bites a second time, unfortunately they will take her from you, quarentine her, and put her down.  I am really sorry.  Even though the girl was tormenting the dog they still always blame the dog 100%.

3giftsfromgod
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:01 PM

did the dog break any skin? any at all? if so they would have to put the dog in quarentine (sp) i it dint break the skin I dont know. but me, i would not have a dog if it bit(and left any marks) I am debating on getting  getting  rid of my dog because she snapped at my son and bit him, but didnt leave any marks, but he did scream into her ear,  but still to me if a dog bites once it is to scarey to keep. but i dont know anythig else sorry best wishes

punkomama08
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:03 PM
they will not give a tetanus shot, you can't get that from a dog bite.
OP i think you need to work on some training with your dog. and maybe if you have to talk to the police let them know that you have repeatedly asked them to not tease your dog. good luck

Quoting La-Belle-Vie:

She does need to go to the doctor and since it is later at night then the ER it is.

Dog bites are bad even if it is a scratch.  They need to clean it out and they will probably give her a tetanus as well.

It really does not matter the situation but the dog was at fault for biting that girl.

They will not take her away.  Most dogs who are reported are quarantined and allowed a "free" bite per say (I know in my state this was the case when I was bit).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellysp6637
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Sorry, but if someone's dog lunged at my child or bit, even scratched my child, I would be bringing her to the ER...and I would file a complaint with the dog officer in my town.

La-Belle-Vie
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:06 PM

I was given a rabies and a tetanus shot for my dog bite... 

I am certain that most dog bites they give a tetanus if you have not received one in the past 5 years.

Quoting punkomama08:

they will not give a tetanus shot, you can't get that from a dog bite.
OP i think you need to work on some training with your dog. and maybe if you have to talk to the police let them know that you have repeatedly asked them to not tease your dog. good luck

Quoting La-Belle-Vie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)