Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Diagnosed with PPD, having trouble with the meds

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:56 PM
  • 5 Replies

I was diagnosed with PPD last week.  I have been on Zoloft 50mg for about 3 years for depression and anxiety.  Doctor bumped me up to 100mg.  I feel worse than I did before.  I feel really out of it, weird and just overall terrible.  I called the nurse yesterday and she said if I could live with this for a few weeks to try to and if not to call them back and they would try something else.  I have had good results with Zoloft and I don't want to change.  I want to get better but this sucks.  I don't think I can stick this out till I get used to the new dosage.  I really don't know what to do.  I was thinking of just going back to my original dosage.  Any help would be great.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:00 PM

I think Zoloft is one of those meds that has to be in your system for awhile before it takes effect.  If you don't think you can stick it out, talk to your doctor about going back to the original dosage.  Maybe the doctor can slowly up your dosage.  Maybe doubling up was too much too soon for you.

Good luck...PPD stinks.

jltplk25
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:04 PM

I couldn't take Zoloft after I had DS b/c it knocked me flat on my ass and left me in a fog. This time I started Lexapro right after the birth of my daughter since I had started showing symptoms of depression before her birth. Lexapro takes a shorter amount of time to get into your system. Typically it takes two weeks for anti-depressants to get into your system.

You can either give it a week or two, or ask to be slowly switched to a new AD. Good luck!

NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 1:21 AM

feel better

La-Belle-Vie
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 1:23 AM
Worse as in more depressed?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tasukete
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 1:34 AM

Are you seeing a GP or psychiatrist?  I would recommend a psychiatrist.  Hormones can potentially cause a difference in the metabolism of certain ADs/psych meds.  If you aren't able to handle 100 mg then Zoloft does come in 25 and 50 mg forms.  Perhaps you can titrate to the 100 mg dosage?  Perhaps you could bring that up with the pnurse?

Here is a link to a website about Zoloft:

http://www.rxlist.com/zoloft-drug.htm

ETA: Zoloft is an AD that typically takes 3-6 weeks for full effect to kick in.  Some patients will notice an effect sooner.  Most side-effects that are going to go away or become tolerable will do so within that 3-6 week time frame.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)