Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seriously, you don't always have to stop for a fire truck

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:03 PM
  • 94 Replies
There was a fire earlier. I was driving home and cannot believe how many people, unable to pull over, stop right smack in the middle of the road.
So the fire truck has to stop behind them until they make sure there is nobody coming the other way before going around them.
Seriously people, drive until you can pull over then do so. Don't block the road!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nemiller
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:06 PM

i'm surprised that they wouldn't be able to use common sense to figure that out... well, okay, maybe not surprised.  there's a lot of stupid people in the world.  but still.  you'd hope they could at least gather that moving would be better than bringing everybody, including the firetruck, to a complete halt.

ForeverInLove
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:07 PM
Well, unfortunately, people can be ticketed for not stopping, even if they don't have a place to pull over so it scares many people from keeping going until safe to stop.
Also, if they cannot pull over because people in the other lane refuse to let them over, the people refusing to let him into that lane of traffic can be ticketed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AES514
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:09 PM
Tickets are not common. We would much rather you keep traffic moving until you can pull over. Rather then just STOP. That's sooo annoying!! And dangerous.
Pull to the right for sirens and lights!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:10 PM
Yes, and pull to the RIGHT not the LEFT!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:10 PM

I'm pretty sure they can ram you out of the way if they need to so I wouldn't stop in front of one.

JasonsMom2007
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:10 PM
Not here. It is a two lane highway (one lane each way) with ditches on both sides in a lot of places. So they say pull over as soon as you can.
Even the police won't turn on their lights until they know you're in a spot you can pull over soon to prevent this

Quoting ForeverInLove:

Well, unfortunately, people can be ticketed for not stopping, even if they don't have a place to pull over so it scares many people from keeping going until safe to stop.

Also, if they cannot pull over because people in the other lane refuse to let them over, the people refusing to let him into that lane of traffic can be ticketed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
avajeansmomma
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Quoting avajeansmomma:

Uh... u drive to the right side of the road. Not block it.

Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM
Facepalm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bethanysmom1007
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM

I've always been taught to pull over to the side of the road for emergency vehicles.  I guess my driver's ed teacher, book and the Rules Of The Road book from Illinois are all wrong.......

JasonsMom2007
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:14 PM
You are supposed to pull over but since there is nowhere to pull over they stop right in the only lane going that direction

Quoting bethanysmom1007:

I've always been taught to pull over to the side of the road for emergency vehicles.  I guess my driver's ed teacher, book and the Rules Of The Road book from Illinois are all wrong.......

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)