• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So what's next? (Homeschooling question)

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have been doing home preschool with my dd. We started letters of the week at 3. We did like 5 words every week, that began with the letter of that week. My dd did really well and at some point began to read or memorize the words. Anywho so now I am sorta stuck. What should I do next? If you homeschool and already did the letters of the week what should I do now? Dd knows all colors, letters and the sounds they make, she writes letters, she knows shapes including diamond, trapezoid, oval, crescent, and a few more, she knows most of the cute kid songs, and animals. We are shaky with numbers she can count to 20 in English, and 5-10 in Spanish, she knows directional things like behind, in front, over and under. All I really know that she needs to work on is writing her name faster(she writes kinda slow), and counting to 100. What else do kids need to know before kindergarden. She turned four today if that helps??

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 3:33 AM

Sounds like she's set!  Just have her work on fine motor skills--cutting with scissors, playing with Play-doh, picking up beans and sorting them . . .

yo_ho
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 4:25 AM

I did hooked on phonics with my DS. He's fully reading now on his own. I still have him read to me because he gets caught on some words and his teacher has brought up that he's not comprehending what he's reading (I already knew his comprehension was an issue). So we read together and then review.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Thanks we do this stuff. Dd also attends a story time and Awanas where she works with sissors, glue, sticker, and all that. I just wish I knew what to do next we have a whole year and I am stuck we do lots of reading to her so I guess we could focus on that.

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

Sounds like she's set!  Just have her work on fine motor skills--cutting with scissors, playing with Play-doh, picking up beans and sorting them . . .

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 12:15 PM

oww that is so great, I will look into hop.

Quoting yo_ho:

I did hooked on phonics with my DS. He's fully reading now on his own. I still have him read to me because he gets caught on some words and his teacher has brought up that he's not comprehending what he's reading (I already knew his comprehension was an issue). So we read together and then review.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)