Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whooping cough

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM
  • 11 Replies

So my son has been coughing for a few days and this morning at 430am he woke me up to him caughing and gagging...I went to check on him, took him out of the crib gave him something to drink then he went back down. 530 am he woke up coughing so bad he threw up FLEM, it was nasty, gave him some water and he was ok for  bit, then about 6-630 he came in the bedroom looked at me turned red started choking gagging couldnt breath. I scooped him up, patted his back massaged his throat so he could get what ever was in there out, then it all came out at once. Relief for the both of us....

I took him to the doc anyway, discribed what was going on and she wants to treat him for Whooping cough. He hasent had an episode since 6-630 this morning. They did a swab of his nose which was kinda hard to watch the swab go intierly down the nostril tubes to his throat, ( cringging)

Im still gonna give him the anitbiotics but i dont think its whooping cough, no whoop in the cough, sister dont have it I dont have it, jsut a damn cold and dad dont have it at all.

Personally i believe that the doc only think so because hes not vaxed for it and its going around.

BUT I will know in 2-3 days if not before if he has it, IF he dose then i will treat it and keep him outa town till he gets better =)

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amayabrianna
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Doesn't sound like it. My DD had the exact same thing about a week or so ago. The dr gave her nebulizer treatments to help at hom e(Which did a ton) and that was it. Not even antibiotics. I would get a second opinion, especially if noone else has it.

bibdybobdyboob
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Sounds yucky.  I hope he gets well soon.

HaydensMommy007
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:22 PM
Sounds like either a bad cold/cough or group. NOT whooping cough
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HaydensMommy007
Ugh stupid Mobile.. I meant croup
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moretolovemamma

I know, right, besides Whooping cough is a virus, i believe, and antibiotics cant rid of it but only help the sysmthoms? Something like that

Quoting amayabrianna:

Doesn't sound like it. My DD had the exact same thing about a week or so ago. The dr gave her nebulizer treatments to help at hom e(Which did a ton) and that was it. Not even antibiotics. I would get a second opinion, especially if noone else has it.

amayabrianna
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I don't think they will even help the symptoms. I would talk to the DR and see about giving some benadryl. Sounds to me like he has a post nasal drip which is what is causing the coughing. And yes, antibiotics will NOT cure a virus. It has to run it's course. Although Whooping cough is actually caused by bacteria so if he does have it, the antibiotics will help. BUT I honestly think, from what you have described, it is a post nasal drip making him cough and gag.

Quoting moretolovemamma:

I know, right, besides Whooping cough is a virus, i believe, and antibiotics cant rid of it but only help the sysmthoms? Something like that

Quoting amayabrianna:

1gzs1-106-1misheartstateaids-3.gif picture by amayabrianna <------- click the picture to join us!!!!!

moretolovemamma
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Ya, seriously

The doc probably said whooping cough due to the fact hes not vaxed for it, so shes automatically assuming that he must have it because thats whats going aroundeye rollingIts only a 4 day supply so if it is an infection  then atleast he will be rid of it in a few days

Quoting amayabrianna:

I don't think they will even help the symptoms. I would talk to the DR and see about giving some benadryl. Sounds to me like he has a post nasal drip which is what is causing the coughing. And yes, antibiotics will NOT cure a virus. It has to run it's course. Although Whooping cough is actually caused by bacteria so if he does have it, the antibiotics will help. BUT I honestly think, from what you have described, it is a post nasal drip making him cough and gag.

Quoting moretolovemamma:

Quoting amayabrianna:

TheTaoOfKim
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:49 PM

I understand your POV. Have you considered a second opinion to be certain?

I know some peds. are all about vaxing, but I find it hard to believe that doc would assume your child had whooping cough based on the fact s/he hasn't been vaxed for it.

punkomama08
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:50 PM
he may have giiven antibiotics as a prophalactic measure. That way if it is whooping cough your LO won't get a secondary infection along with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krista778
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:53 PM

I had whooping cough when I was younger, NOT fun! I coughed for 2 months pretty much non stop, no cough medicine worked and my dr was an idiot so he didn't treat it. Hope your little guy feels better!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)