Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

finger nail just randomly falling off?

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 11:52 PM
  • 8 Replies
just now i was cutting my nails and i got to my index finger on my left hand and it looked like my finger nail had a hump in it and i looks closer and it looked like i hand on a fake finger nail i pulled it up at the back and my whole finger nail came off now there is just skin! this is weird and it fells funny. and looks gross! i have not hit my finger or anything to injure it why would it just randomly fall off?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Sep. 30, 2010 at 11:54 PM

nail fungus

mama_21
by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 11:54 PM

That's weird! The only thing I can think of is if you have some kind of fungal infection or something... I had to deal with this once in cosmetology school, I was giving this woman a pedi and it looked like her toenails were going to fall off! They didn't look gross or anything, they just looked not attached to her nail bed. My instructor said it was a fungus... Maybe you should see a doctor? Good luck!

robinalbright
by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 11:57 PM
fungus!??! my nails have always been healthy. none of the other ones look like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChellaWella
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Just like the skin, the fingernails tell a lot about your health.

• Beau's lines are depressions across the fingernail. These lines can occur after illness, injury to the nail, and when you are malnourishedmalnourished.
  • Brittle nails are often a normal result of aging. However, they also may be due to certain diseases and conditions.
  • Koilonychia is an abnormal shape of the fingernail. The nail has raised ridges and is thin and curved inward. This disorder is associated with iron deficiency anemiairon deficiency anemia.
  • Leukonychia is white streaks or spots on the nails.
  • Pitting is the presence of small depressions on the nail surface. Sometimes the nail is also crumbling. The nail can become loose and sometimes falls off.
  • Ridges are tiny, raised lines that develop across or up and down the nail

Causes

Injury:

• Crushing the base of the nail or the nail bed may cause a permanent deformity.
  • Chronic picking or rubbing of the skin behind the nail can cause a washboard nail.
  • Long-term exposure to moisture or nail polish can cause nails to peel and become brittle.

Infection:

• Fungus or yeast cause changes in the color, texture, and shape of the nails.
  • Bacterial infection may cause a change in nail color or painful areas of infection under the nail or in the surrounding skin. Severe infections may cause nail loss.
  • Viral wartswarts may cause a change in the shape of the nail or ingrown skin under the nail.
  • Certain infections (especially of the heart valve) may cause red streaks in the nail bed ( splinter hemorrhagessplinter hemorrhages).

Diseases:

• Disorders that affect the amount of oxygen in the blood (such as abnormal heart anatomy and lung diseases including cancer or infection) may cause clubbingclubbing.
  • Kidney diseaseKidney disease can cause a build-up of nitrogen waste products in the blood, which can damage nails.
  • Liver diseaseLiver disease can damage nails.
  • Thyroid diseases such as hyperthyroidismhyperthyroidism or hypothyroidismhypothyroidism may cause brittle nails or splitting of the nail bed from the nail plate (onycholysis).
  • Severe illness or surgery may cause horizontal depressions in the nails (Beau's lines).
  • PsoriasisPsoriasis may cause pitting, splitting of the nail plate from the nail bed, and chronic destruction of the nail plate (nail dystrophy).
  • Other conditions that can affect the appearance of the nails include systemic amyloidosisamyloidosis, malnutrition, vitamin deficiency, and lichen planuslichen planus.

Poisons:

• Arsenic poisoningArsenic poisoning may cause white lines and horizontal ridges.
  • Silver intake can cause a blue nail.

When to Contact a Medical Professional

Call your health care provider if you have:

• Blue nails
  • Clubbed nails
  • Distorted nails
  • Horizontal ridges
  • Pale nails
  • White lines
  • White color under the nails

If you have splinter hemorrhages, see the doctor immediately.

JAJA_Steele
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 12:04 AM

July 5th my son slammed my daughters fingers in a sliding glass door 2 months later her nails fell off. Did you smash your fingers a while ago that you didn't think about?

spiritualmomma
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 12:06 AM

This sounds like a fungus. Have you gotten your nails done in the past (at any point-specifically in the last year) or do you do a lot of garden work?

robinalbright
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 12:09 AM
no i have not gotten my nails done in about 5 years because it was damaging them so bad. and no i don't garden.

Quoting spiritualmomma:

This sounds like a fungus. Have you gotten your nails done in the past (at any point-specifically in the last year) or do you do a lot of garden work?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
superm0m877
by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 12:19 AM

that happened to my mom, shes alergic to bleach and accidentally got some on her thumb and it fell off...do u have any kind of allergy to where something like this could happen?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)