Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If you are a SAHM with kids in school, what DO you do all day?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 9:19 AM
  • 334 Replies

I am sure this comes across as rude, but if your kids are all in school all day what do you do with your time? Housework? I would think with kids gone all day your house would stay cleaner. I plan on working part time when all of mine are old enough to be in school. I am excited! I need to be social. I am really curious. And if you say you are doing housework or grocery shopping all day I call bullshit because I have 4 kids and I can manage to do all I need in 2 hours a day and who grocery shops every day!

by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoddessAnna
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Same thing I do every day, Pinkie - try and take over the world!

mrs.pyle
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 9:22 AM

find it hard to believe it only takes you two hours to clean up after four kids. when my son and future children start school if we dont homeschool, i will be RELAXING cleaning, taking classes of my own like yoga, pilates etc. cleaning cooking (yes it does take me ten times longer we dont eat processed foods i cook from scratch) gardening, working out, playing with the pig and chickens, socializing, and then once school is up picking them up and playing chaffeur for after school activities. 

not everyone has to work.

mcsmom1
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Housework and laundry take up a very small part of my day.  I also pay household bills along with bills for two businesses we own, run errands, volunteer at DD's school, have lunch with my friends, shop, get pedis.  Stuff like that.  I'm rarely home and I never have the tv on.  I am busy and I love it!

madcrazymom
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 9:23 AM
I get stuff done, cleaning, yard work, go out shopping, laundry. You must have a magic washer and dryer because we have 7 people in our house and we do laundry every other day and it takes more than 2 hours. I pre make dinners. Vacuum the house. Our house is large so it takes a while. Sometimes I go get my hair done. I pick my youngest up @ 12. So I don't really have the whole day to myself seeing as my oldest isn't in school until 9 am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supervomiter
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 9:25 AM

I can totally see how volunteering at the school can fill your day!

Quoting mcsmom1:

Housework and laundry take up a very small part of my day.  I also pay household bills along with bills for two businesses we own, run errands, volunteer at DD's school, have lunch with my friends, shop, get pedis.  Stuff like that.  I'm rarely home and I never have the tv on.  I am busy and I love it!

supervomiter
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 9:26 AM

I do 1 to 2 loads everyday, I start at 5. I like to get all the work done by 7 so we can do parks, playdates ectwithout worrying about anything.

Quoting madcrazymom:

I get stuff done, cleaning, yard work, go out shopping, laundry. You must have a magic washer and dryer because we have 7 people in our house and we do laundry every other day and it takes more than 2 hours. I pre make dinners. Vacuum the house. Our house is large so it takes a while. Sometimes I go get my hair done. I pick my youngest up @ 12. So I don't really have the whole day to myself seeing as my oldest isn't in school until 9 am.

emelymac
by Emely on Oct. 9, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I go to school and volunteer a lot, both at Girl Scouts and at the kid's school. And obviously I do the cooking, cleaning, etc.

GoddessAnna
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Seriously though, I'm super slow when it comes to cleaning - I get distracted by every other thing I want to do. Say I'm decluttering the living room, and I find a book that belongs in the basement. I take it to the basement, and notice that the book shelves have been messed up by the kids, so I have to fix them. I notice a book that belongs in the bedroom (we're book geeks like that), and even though I'm neither done with the living room or the book shelves, I have to take it to the bedroom, only to get distracted there. And so on and so forth.

I don't make the best house cleaner, I really don't. My family knows this - which is why I'd rather plot global domination anyway. I get plenty of socializing done without working, and we have enough money for me to not work - but not enough money for the F-22 I want. Such is life.

BlessedToBMommy
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 10:26 AM

well I have other children who arent in school, but you do come off as really bitchy. I will be working while my children are in school once all four are in school all day. But what is it your concern what moms do??

i.heart.rachel
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I dust my mansion and watch my washer spin.

OH and I sell things on ebay? lmao

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN