Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Babies born at 35 weeks??

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 2:53 AM
  • 21 Replies

Was your baby born at 35 weeks?  I am 35.5 weeks right now, and just kind of have an intuitive feeling that the baby will be here sooner than later. 

I am wondering if your baby was okay if it was born this early, or if it was sent to the NICU?  How much did he/she weigh? Did you have a home birth or a hospital birth?  IF you went into labor at this time in your pregnancy, did they try to stop it?

~Heather~ Mom to Dylan, Piper, Tristan, and one more on the way!

Lilypie - (p0MI)

by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 2:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mipsy
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 2:57 AM

My SIL had her daughter at 35 weeks and she was perfectly fine, but she received the steroid shots weeks earlier in her pregnancy due to pre-term labor. But she weighed 8lbs 8oz. Never went to NICU. Had a little jaundice so she came home on a bili light. But she did perfectly fine.

sam_rayne21
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 3:00 AM

My son was born at like a day shy of 36 weeks he weigh 4lb7oz he was sent to the NICU but that was because he wouldnt eat other than that and the fact that he was diagnosed with Downs Syndrome he was fine. He could breath on his own.

KerryK
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 3:00 AM
My youngest was born at 35 weeks, she was small, 5 lbs 12 oz, but no serious health issues. She spent one night in the regular nursery because her blood sugar was low, but that's it. 36 weeks is considered full term I think, you are so close, baby should be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armywifenmom09
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 3:02 AM
I had DD right at 35 weeks. She was fine. 8 pounds 7 ounces. No NICU. I had a csection. Typically they will stop labor but in my case she needed to come out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JAJA_Steele
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 3:02 AM

No my babies were born at 41 and a half weeks, 38 weeks, and 25 weeks. My doctor told me at anytime I went into labor after 35 they would not stop it. My last child the labor was stopped for a whole week.

ARMYWIFEHILL
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 3:03 AM

mine was a 34 weeks with steroid shot and was in nicu for 10 days for severe Jaundice, low blood sugar when he was born which is what had him admitted , he was mostly on a feed and grow status. which ment he was fine but went from 4lbs 15 oz to 4lbs 11.5 oz in less then 12 hours. so they wanted him to be able to feed by mouth and GAIN before discharge. he also has 3 holes in his heart which kept him the NICU for another 3 days then planned. but to the point ANY baby has a chance at going to NICU regaurdless of pre term/term/ or post term! but chances are even if your baby does go to NICU it will be for "the small stuff"

shadowskitten
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 3:08 AM

When I had my DS, the doctor (who originally thought I was at 38 weeks) thought that my son was 34 or 35 weeks instead. My DS spent 10 days in NICU because he wasn't adjusting. He wouldn't eat at all. The NICU doctor was going to put him on an IV diet but he started eating. On the ninth day, he actually ate more than 2oz. and the doctor allowed him to go home the next day. He is now 10 months but he is slow in devolping. He hasn't even tried to sit or crawl.

hstansbury17
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 3:24 AM

Why was there confusion about your dates?  Were you unsure of your last period?  Or did they keep chaging things due to ultrasounds and other tests?

Quoting shadowskitten:

When I had my DS, the doctor (who originally thought I was at 38 weeks) thought that my son was 34 or 35 weeks instead. My DS spent 10 days in NICU because he wasn't adjusting. He wouldn't eat at all. The NICU doctor was going to put him on an IV diet but he started eating. On the ninth day, he actually ate more than 2oz. and the doctor allowed him to go home the next day. He is now 10 months but he is slow in devolping. He hasn't even tried to sit or crawl.

~Heather~ Mom to Dylan, Piper, Tristan, and one more on the way!

Lilypie - (p0MI)

raven1114
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2010 at 3:39 AM

Was your baby born at 35 weeks?  I am 35.5 weeks right now, and just kind of have an intuitive feeling that the baby will be here sooner than later.  i had all 3 of mine at around 35 weeks. my oldest girl was 34 weeks, my sone was 36 weeks and my youngest daughter was 35 weeks. i also 'knew' somehow that they'd all come early. don't know how i just knew.

I am wondering if your baby was okay if it was born this early, or if it was sent to the NICU? my first spent about a week in the hospital for jaundice (regular hospital not NICU) with my son we stayed an extra day in the hopspital but that was all. now with my last one she was care flighted to Baylor and spent 2 weeks in the NICU there (i actually spent 5 weeks in the hospital before she was born) because she had trouble breathing.  

How much did he/she weigh? my first was 5lbs 11 1/2oz, second was 7lbs 3oz and the last was 7lbs 7 1/4 oz. so they were all good sized even for being early. weight however doesn't mean a baby can't/wont have any problems from being born to early. my last one was the biggest and she had the most problems.

Did you have a home birth or a hospital birth? all born in hospital

IF you went into labor at this time in your pregnancy, did they try to stop it?  it depends on how dialated you are. i believe if you're 4 or more centimeters they prepare for you to deliver.

oh and preterm labor symptoms are not always like the 'classic' labor symptoms. i for one had almost no pain (other than the usual pregnancy pains.) but i was really uncomfortable a day or so before i had them. i mean seriously uncomfortable way worse than the normal pregnancy can't get comfortable issues.

Melissa_anne
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 3:46 AM

my daughter was born at 34 weeks, she was in the NICU for 3 1/2 weeks, was jaundice, also would stop breathing sometimes, the nurses said she would forget to breathe.  They let her go home when she went a full 5 days without her monitor going off.  She was 5lbs 7oz.  She was born in the hospital.  They didn't try to stop it because my water had broke and they told me i was having her that day.  26 hours later she was born

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN